Originality of this ring? also what date? 15k

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, May 18, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Thinking of buying this ring perhaps. However I wanted to run it by you guys because I have my suspicions. It would appear to me that the turquoise and pearl portion is not original? I could be wrong! Also, the seller says 1877 but I am not sure on the date mark myself. I can't tell what it is.
    s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What is the date letter supposed to be? Just in terms of when jewellery similar to this using small turquoise cabochons & tiny pearls was in fashion, ring looks Georgian. Since it has a date mark, should be able to pin it down.

Here's the table for the letter C. Do you think the 1877 mark is a good match?

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Dates/Birmingham/Date Letters C.html

upload_2020-5-18_7-30-32.png

3. Bronwen

How so? The pearls & stone do not appear to be in good condition. Are you considering buying for your own wear?

4. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I would be wearing it myself. The seller had an on hand picture and it is quite interesting. The 1877 mark looks close enough, doesn't look like it exactly but there are no other matches... does 1877 look correct for the period style?

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The use of 15 and .625 suggests it is after 1904 and before 1932. No duty head either, so it can't be 1877. That looks like 1927.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is a marriage, the bit with the cabs is 19th century. It could have come off a broken brooch or pendant and put on a gold band because it was pretty, or for sentimental reasons.

Bronwen, Houseful and patd8643 like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It does look like a marriage, I agree. Earring perhaps.

Bronwen and Houseful like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Marks look correct for 1877 to me - when the 9, 12, and 15 carat gold standards were introduced in 1854, they were not struck with duty marks. Suppose it could be a marriage, but personally, looks like it could be original ...

~Cheryl

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

10. DragonflyWink

Have seen similar rings set with pearls and turquoise, as well as other gems, in catalogs into the early 20th century - would guess rather than a 'retro look', it was a style that continued to be produced because it was pretty. Other similar rings can also be found with British hallmarks like these, so dating no earlier than 1854, and well past that - still not really seeing any problem with 1877 dating of this ring. It does look to have some damaged bits, and wonder about what appears to be a hole behind the turquoise - perhaps a transparent stone was replaced?

Here are some similar 10K pearl and turquoise rings from an 1892 American retailer's catalog:

turquoisepearl10krings1892newenglandjeweler.JPG

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There's an odd texture on the gold,maybe it was mercury gilded.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

Researching a piece of jewelry I'm considering, and ran across this 1876 British catalog page in Flower's 'Victorian Jewellery' (1951):

420202015184.jpg

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted