Ormolu(?) Copper(?) Brass(?) or bronze small candlesticks?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Miscstuff, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Trying to figure out the base metal and the type of gilding that I think is ormolu. The bases have two different corrosion colours with one white and one blue which confuses the heck out of me. The bases have a coating that looks like ormolu but the stems look brassy. Those leafy bits both have an uncoated area underneath (4th photo) that looks like copper with a very old patina or bronze. The capitals have two different screw sizes and look like pre-industrial screws. I’m guessing these are probably Georgian maybe 1820s but don’t know where from. Any suggestions???

Data
    0.51Kg ea
    21.7cm High
    9.5-10.5cm base

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice sticks.!!!

Miscstuff and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. MT Vessel

MT Vessel Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they are not very old. They are quite low quality reproductions or in an antique style.
    Early 19th C. to around turn of the century - or a little later - brass castings were of much higher quality. Definition was better and the castings were hand finished. Ormolu is gilded bronze - often seen on high quality French furniture fittings. Sorry to say that these aren’t ormolu from what I can see.

By the way, antique brass always has a patina from years of use and polishing.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't see it either.
    The style looks French to me.

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

This is not my area, but the part that would sit on the table really reminds me of the bases of a lamp that my grandparents had. It was quite heavy.

6. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Yep they appear to be French. There are stylized fleur-de-lis all over them.
    8.jpg

7. Virginia Snyder

Virginia Snyder New Member

Frequently things are weighted therefore people think things are of better quality because they are weighted. I worked with phones and realized the ones that were landlines and heavier simply had some type of weight inside it. I became aware lamps are sometimes done that way also.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. columba

columba Member

I agree brass,probably sand cast,not lost wax castings,
    do not look gilded.

Columba.