Featured Ornate metal frame. Was this originally for a set of mirrors?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Not sure this kind of thing is selling so well, but could not resist at the GW for a few dollars.

Am I correct it is 1920's or so? Would this have originally been for mirrors? If yes, I'm wondering if these mirrors were replacements. They just look a bit new. Unfortunately the clips on the back (at the top) have worn through the mirror backing, which shows up a bit on the front on the top, you can see on photo 3. Also wondered if it might have been for photographs at one time. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

mirror2.jpg mirror3.jpg mirror4.jpg mirror5.jpg

antidiem, wenna, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think that's very nice. The mirror does look new to me. Maybe it started as a photo double portrait frame? '20s or '30s could be right. Wait to hear from others.

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

JMHO, but I see mirrors with ornate frames selling quite well on Etsy these days.
    I bet it would do well as you have one with a double frame mirror.
    :)

Lucille.b and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I have same question, there is no reason why a vanity-type mirror should have two separate panes, this musta been made for peeksures, no?

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Careful with that. They are reproduced, you know.

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Photo's seems a more likely use for this item.

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I might pop out the mirrors and give it a shot on Ebay as a double frame. The mirrors really don't make sense. Glad to get some confirmation on that.

I do think this is one of the older ones. There is a different feel between those reproduced ones that were popular in the 70's. In the hand, this seems older. But good to point that out!

cxgirl likes this.
  8. komokwa

The more I look at it the more age and quality I see.
    It may not be my style...but the more I look the more I like the honest patina , the age of the screws and fastening method, & the quality of the casting......I highly doubt this is a repro anything....

Good luck !!!

lloyd249 and cxgirl like this.
  9. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

If the hardware holding the mirrors in place is original, it seems a bit heavy duty for holding pictures.

lloyd249 likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

11. springfld.arsenal

Specialized mirror for people with split personalities. "Mirror, mirror, on the wall, you're the rarest of them all!"

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

May be a perfect fit for cabinet card sized pictures.

2 mirrors is clearly pointless.

Lucille.b likes this.
  13. springfld.arsenal

Hardware was designed to hold pictures, glass plates covering them, and a backing of cardboard or similar material.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

Ya...& over time some got lost.

Lucille.b likes this.
  15. ScareBear

ScareBear The real ScareBear

Draft saved Draft deleted