Ornate Wood Stove

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Emcclain151, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Emcclain151

Emcclain151 New Member

Hello,

I was hoping to get some opinions on a wood stove that came into my possession. It's a smaller stove, belonged to at least my great grandparents, so I believe pre 1950s at the latest. Seems to have been refinished a while back, thus the chipping. I thought it was interesting that it is so ornate and decorative. It even has etched in cranes or herons in the legs. Overall it's in okay condition, does have one piece that seems to have cracked off previously, before being refinished. I have no experience with these kinds of things. Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on the history of it? Thanks!

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Nice looking little stove.
    Sorry, I can't help.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not a stove expert by any means but tried to do a little searching. Don't know if these smaller stoves have a particular name or not so that may have hindered my search. Could come up with none exactly like yours. If a period example, this would be late 19th or early 20th century. Reproductions have been made forever. Here is one that is the most similar that I could find ......

https://www.kovels.com/price-guide/...hudium20-x-22-x-11-in-illustrated=&eid=833380

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Good find Brad. I've always know them as box stoves. They were popular because of their small size making them portable if necessary and able to fit into smaller rooms. This one screams Victorian because of being ornate. Here is a website with a little history and a page or so of them. Note the following...

"More Victorian ones ... have floral designs featuring birds and scrollwork and what not."

http://antiquestoves.net/dir/antique-stoves-for-heating/antique-box-stoves

--- Susan

5. Emcclain151

Emcclain151 New Member

Thanks everyone! This gives me an excellent starting point.

Draft saved Draft deleted