Featured Oscar Ricciardi?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Spudnik, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

This is a Gouache on paper (I think), approximately 35 X 50 CM. Signed "Ricciardi" at the bottom right. There are a number or artists named Ricciardi, but based on the style and signature, I believe it is Oscar Ricciardi.

I think the setting is the "Temple of Castor and Pollux" on the southern coast of Sicily.

Garage sale find.

Painting.jpg Signature.jpg Figures.jpg Structure.jpg Tree.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What a fun garage sale find! Think you're right re location. As to Oscar Ricciardi... I'm doubtful. The painting above is much more illustrative in style. And the figure on the left appears to be wearing 1950s clothing. (Oscar's dates are 1864-1935.) Here's another painting, also a "rare" gouache, attributed by the seller to Oscar Ricciardi. Think it's by the same hand as yours. And the signatures match.

Debora

19555809_1_x.jpg

s-l1600 2.jpg

Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and ulilwitch like this.
  3. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Thanks Debora, that all makes sense. I hadn't considered the style of dress of the young ladies, but you're right that it hints at more like a 1950's timeframe than when Oscar Ricciardi was working.

Examples of his signature that I've seen are similar, but just different enough to throw more doubt. And all the examples of his work that I could find were oil on canvas. Doesn't mean he never worked with gouache, but all taken together with your stylistic observations means it's probably not his.

Wonder who it could be? Perhaps a relative :>)

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you opened your work up to see if there's any information on the back?

Debora

ulilwitch likes this.
  5. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

No I haven't. That's a good idea. I'll do that and post my results.

Debora and ulilwitch like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I sold a Ricciardi (Oscar) at Sotheby's new York about 25 years ago and it did not look like this persons work.

Vintage Maven, Debora and ulilwitch like this.
  7. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

As promised, I took it out of the frame. Photo of the back is attached. Nothing there helps with identification, looks like the writing that is on there only relates to framing instructions.

I took another photo of the front since I had it out of the frame, just for fun.

20210104_120449.jpg 20210104_120504.jpg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the illustrations on some of Mary Stewart's books set in Greece. Same period I'd think. Late 1950s/early 1960s.

Debora

3d045b7e12beaa09191a9a735ea6a558.jpg 9810789149a885ab94de94f6cb306b21.jpg

Spudnik likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted