Oslo calling

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Renate Gulbrandsen, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Hi! I'm so glad to have found a forum for collectors.:D I've come to realise that I have to buy old stuff in order to get the things I like, and while I try to keep my collections from expanding too fast, it can be hard to resist the perfect piece when it comes along. There is something special about owning an item that has survived a century of more, and while I find it sad that most of these items will have lost their history, it still feels sort of magical to hold something that was around when Queen Victoria ascended the throne.

I mainly collect antique fine jewellery c 1910, but anything goes as long as it's somewhere between Georgian and Art Nouveau. I also have a penchant for English pieces, or pieces made elsewhere aimed at the English market. I'm a bit like a magpie, being attracted to anything that sparkles, so I oftentimes have to remind myself that I am in fact not rich, and cannot buy all the pretty things just because they're shiny.

I also occasionally treat myself to a new teacup or two, especially after watching an episode of Keeping up with Appearances. Fortunately, it doesn't make me want to hoard pearl-white slim-line push-button digital telephones with automatic last-number redial, so I guess that's a boon? Anywho, antique teacups and demitasses, either from England or France, have a special place in my heart.

I hope that I can be useful in some way - perhaps just by being Norwegian. I can help translate (and maybe even locate) Norwegian sources about vintage enamel pieces or info on silversmiths, for instance. Apart from that, I know my gemstones quite well. It is of course highly plausible that I will be completely useless, but let's hope not!

Oh, and I guess I forgot to introduce myself (how rude!). My name is Renate, I'm 32 years old and I live in Oslo, the city from which, according to Knut Hamsun, no man departs without carrying away the traces of his sojourn there.

Bronwen, Tanya, Pattywithay and 5 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a pleasure to be the first to welcome you here, Renate. Thank you so much for joining us.

Debora

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Renate! We're happy you joined us!

Bronwen and Renate Gulbrandsen like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Renate. What a lovely introduction. Welcome.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Renate, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!:):)

Bronwen and Renate Gulbrandsen like this.
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    Nice to be reminded of Hyacinth Bucket, pronounced Bouquet of course:)

8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

9. Bingamum

Bingamum Active Member

Hi Renate. I was a book editor for years and can spot a writer when I read one and you have a lovely flair for words! I am relatively new here myself and have found this to be such a fun, friendly place to spend time and to connect with an extraordinary group of people with similar interests. There is a wealth of knowledge here and members always go that extra step to offer advice, help someone’s research, or just to appreciate someone’s new treasure. Welcome to the forum. You have definitely hit the jackpot!

Aquitaine, Bronwen and Houseful like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

11. Thank you! We all need some Bouquet in our lives:) I used to work in customer service, and I wish I could have picked up and said: "The Bouquet residence! Lady of the house speaking" when customers called us.:hilarious:
    I also really want this bucket:
    [​IMG]

12. Thank you for your kind words! I do love writing - I work as a translator, so I basically write all day long, but it's so much better to be able to use my own phrases and let the words take me on a journey, rather than forcing them to follow a path made by someone else.

I've been lurking for a couple of days, and you all seem so friendly and helpful and welcoming! <3

Bronwen and Bingamum like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Renate. You're not going to be useless, oh not at all. :)

Renate Gulbrandsen likes this.
  14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Welcome! My father's family was from Norway and I've been lucky enough to visit your beautiful country! (I believe there is someone else here that is in Norway though can't remember who.)

Renate Gulbrandsen and Bronwen like this.
  15. How lovely! May I ask which part of Norway? :) I've seen relatively little of it myself, but I went on a train ride across the country a couple of years ago and finally got to see some of the more impressive nature that really makes you feel tiny and insignificant. It sort of felt like going to a foreign country, which is quite absurd :joyful:

Bronwen likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome Renate! A lot of us are Americans and the rest are from anywhere and everywhere. I don't think we've had another Norwegian join the crew before! (most probably aren't crazy enough)

I'm usually a copper jewelry girl, the crazier the better, but the magpie instinct is strong with this one.

Renate Gulbrandsen and Bronwen like this.
  17. Magpies unite! ✊

Bronwen likes this.
  18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I've been lucky. When I was a teenager back about 1970 or so, my family went to Norway and we drove from Oslo up through Lillehammer and up to Trondheim (I think) maybe further, back to Bergen and then back to Oslo.

A few years ago I took my family and we drove Oslo to Bergen then up around Skei and back to Oslo. Twice we went through the longest road tunnel (24.5 km) which was awesome! I tried to go to areas my father had researched as places his family was from so we went to some rather small areas. Lovely trip! Beautiful country!

Draft saved Draft deleted