Featured Otto Lilienthal Gold Cameo Ring-Help!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lew Fisher, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Lew Fisher

Lew Fisher Well-Known Member

We've had this ring a number of years but aren't sure WHAT we've got. Otto Lilienthal 1848-1896, German aviation pioneer, was quite an important figure, we understand. The workmanship and quality is excellent. The 585 mark we know is 14K but the other marks we haven't found. Not sure why a ring would be made to commemorate an aeronautical engineer or who might have worn such a thing. There is an Otto Lilienthal museum in Anklam, Germany. We'd like to get some sense of its importance, if any, and possible value. Can't imagine how to market it. Anybody want to chime in? Thanks. DSCN1720.JPG DSCN1722.JPG DSCN1724.JPG DSCN1725.JPG DSCN1726.JPG DSCN1727.JPG DSCN1729.JPG DSCN1730.JPG DSCN1731.JPG DSCN1721.JPG

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Not a clue, but your pictures are WONDERFUL!

Could you give lessons to to some eBay Sellers!!??

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful ring!

And I agree - what are you using for background? - I was working out something with ikea blinds that has very linen-like texture, but it moires easily. :(

Totally chopped my high on that plan.

Also, do you use some kind of lazy susan, or pick it up and physically rotate it?

My eyesight is bad enough that I really have to find ways to streamline everything - I hate to look at a group of things later in the day and find lint! or a stupid moire... arrrrrgh!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I wonder if it was done around his death as a family piece?. I love sardonyx pieces like that. Your photographs are stunning.
    greg

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Contact the museum to see if these were made in large numbers .....or if they need one !! :wideyed:

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The marks beside the carat mark indicate mid century or later. My reading of the style anyway.

7. Lew Fisher

Thanks for the kind words about the photos. They're so nice I surprised myself. I am a long-time eBay seller so I more or less take pictures for a living. I was thinking my new computer's photo editing system...I love it...might have something to do with it. The background is a plain white bed sheet. Back to the ring. I'm getting a jugendstil vibe from the setting so I'm guessing more turn of the last century. An id of the marks might help determine that. Anybody? I'll write the museum and see what they have to say but museums, especially little ones, are notoriously underfunded. They just might have some answers, though.

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I just got an answer from a small museum that has the Taylor chair company records. Found out my chair was designed and sold from 1935 to 1941. It was a "Bank of England" type chair. The old court house has been closed for 30 years now . They were tossing a few of these chairs and stuff into a dumpster. I saved one of them. I just wonder if someone infamous sat in it.:rolleyes:
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

@gregsglass
    Right thread?

As to the ring: it is beautiful
    Af's remarks are based on the markings in the ring; other than that, I agree with a Jugendstil vibe. Can someone confirm or deny the marks? No idea on value, but that's a nice ring. (and nice photos)

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Agreeing with all the others....GREAT photos, nice zoning in on what needs to be crystal clear, nice simple and neutral background!!! LOVE the ring as well!!! But not a clue as to value.....love the color as well. Museum should be able to give you some help.....Good luck!!! And if you haven't been before, WELCOME!!!!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. Lew Fisher

For those interested in the response from the Otto Lilienthal Museum in Anklam, Germany regarding our ring we quote the following from an email
    "Thank you so much for your pictures. We know about the "Lilienthal ring" but unfortunately we do not have one in our collection and moreover, I have not seen it yet.
    We know that the first who got this award was the president of the Royal Aeronautical Society of the Bristol Aircraft factory Mr. A.H.R.Fredden. It was awarded for the first time on October 12, 1938 by the "Generalfieldmarschall Goering" It has been an award dedicated to foreign scientists of aviation by the German "Lilienthal Society for Aviation Research" I do not know how many of this award exist. Do you know the history of your ring?"
    kind regards,
    Bernd Lukasch, Otto Lilienthal Museum
    When or if we find out more we'll post to this thread.

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

How interesting. I wonder if they liked having to mention Fat Hermann. Looks as if you could have a sale there.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted