Featured Over my head... worth getting appraised?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Cheryl LBJ, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

We have a small suitcase full of jewelry from my in-laws who have passed away. We sorted through it and picked out what we thought may have some value... pictures attached. Does anything look like it is worth having appraised? Not even sure what to look at for to determine if valuable or not. (beyond sentimental value) The one strand of pearls is real,(heavy, tooth test, and not symmetrically round) but can't tell about the others.. thinking not. I would guess rice pears are real. Thoughts? Worth having appraised? Give it all to my brother-in-law to deal with? Happy to answer questions/clarify/ etc. The silver native bracelet only has an "A" that I can find on the inside.... any guidance, suggestions appreciated. THANKS

southwest.jpg

2.jpg

12K cross back.jpg

12k cross.jpg

birthstone ring.jpg

maybe real.jpg

no  clue.jpg

real pearls.jpg

rings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2020
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If you have the time ....and are interested in knowing what you have....we will need clear close ups.....of clasps, marks and stones.
    I'd say there is value there.......
    If u love your BIL...& he could use some cash....then toss it his way.....& tell him to join up right here , so we could help him !!

The 1st pic is most likely SW native made ............

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Cheryl. I second what Komokwa says about more pictures, but I think that, more apropos of your main question about getting them appraised - what would be the purpose of the appraisal? Equitable division of the monetary value for estate purposes? Insurance coverage/replacement value? Sale price? Those can often be different numbers.

Any Jewelry, i need help, KSW and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is there any mark on the turquoise bear at the center of the necklace? Check bottoms of hind feet.

Celtic cross is marked as being gold filled.

Most of the spherical pearls are probably imitation. We can't tell you anything more about the pearls themselves than the tooth test can tell you. The pearl stud earrings look like they could be good quality & if you don't want them you can send them to me. :D The seed pearls are likely to be real. For the costume quality pearls, we would need to know about any marks to say if they are particularly desirable.

Can't say much about rings with stones when we can't see the stones or any marks inside the shanks. The multi-color ring looks like the sort of thing where you get the birthstones of your kids or grandkids. 'Stones' are apt to be glass. Large green stone in ring does look like jade.

The chunky coral necklace really is coral. Quite an unusual choker with it. Glare is making it hard to see other stones.

Marks, marks, marks!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

When you do post photos you may want to assign numbers to each piece so that it is easier to keep track of what pieces you are getting information on.

Any Jewelry, i need help, KSW and 2 others like this.
  6. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Haven't we seen a similar Dutch coral and gold necklace on this forum? @Any Jewelry

i need help, Marko, KSW and 2 others like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love the bear on your Zuni (?) fetish necklace. I also think that one greem stone might be jade .

i need help, komokwa, Marko and 2 others like this.
  8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Yes, please look at the clasps, especially the pearls that are not spherical. The multi-strand pearl necklace with the goldtone clasp in your second picture,- it may be 14k as well as the clasp on the on the other strand. I do believe those are genuine pearls. The pearls in your picture number 8- the long double strand with the safety catch on the clasp, could be real, could be faux pearls, I have seen both with these clasps. I am leaning towards real due to the shape of the pearls, but you would need to tooth test an end pearl gently near the clasp. Hope for gritty. The cluster earrings- any markings on them? That type of clasp usually indicates costume, but not always, and the pearls seem to be varying in shades and sizes. I will bet all the pearls in that picture are genuine, but you need to test for gritty with your teeth, gently, because you will cause faux pearls to peel if you rub too hard.

I am loving the coral necklace. Let us know if you are selling the jewelry online in an auction or otherwise.

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Please know there are natural pearls formed in an oyster in the wild, these are very rare and valuable.

There are cultured pearls, a "seed" is planted in an oyster, it is coated with nacre by the oyster and then harvested. There are varying qualities of cultured pearls, some have more value than others.

There are fresh water pearls and there are costume pearls.

Marks on the clasp may help with IDing some, others you may have to take to someone to look at them to give you an idea of what you have.

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Don't discount the value of vintage costume jewelry. Show us what else is in the suitcase! Picture number 5 appears to me a mother's ring. Birthstones represent the months of the children. They are usually 10k or 14k, can have synthetic or genuine stones. The bracelet with the orange stone shown next to the coral necklace appears to be marcasite and carnelian, most likely sterling. The silvertone necklace at the bottom of the picture appears to be a base metal with marcasites, perhaps rhodium plated on the marcasite part, but I think I am seeing verdigris on the chain, so that is why I am saying base metal. The did set marcasites in base metals. Your Celtic cross appears to have a maker's name, and it is gold-filled. The pearls in picture 6 appear, to me, to be costume looking at the clasps. The one on the right looking at the picture has verdigris on the clasp and findings, be careful. The other appears to have a rhinestone clasp, check the pearls gently, and is in good shape, not seeing verdigris.

11. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

Mostly looking to see if even worth taking to a jeweler and paying for an appraisal. From feedback, I'm leaning towards appraisal...bthough don't need details, just estimated value. Reason is to satisfy any questions from family, as we ended up with the suitcase when father in law went in hospital and then moved to extended care. Not sure about selling any jewelry etc... Just trying to keep peace in the family.

i need help, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  12. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

Not seeing anything on the bottom of the bears feet... I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Major issues uploading files as it tells me file is too big.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Go to properties. You have to select resize. This will make the picture smaller in file size to upload.

A word of advice- if you take these for an appraisal and the jeweler offers to buy them right away, think twice. I would go somewhere else for a second opinion. I have seen jewelers offer $100 for a half-carat and up diamond solitaires and I have seen people take it. And I have also been offered money for jewelry that I have wanted repaired.

With the information given here to you, google and look online at similar items. :)

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  14. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

I had not looked at the back of the pearl earrings.... Never 3.jpg
    Thanks.. no plans to sell them yet.. needs to be discussed with the family(amazing what people try to get away with ;-()
    seen anything like them

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

Now you have me wondering about we may have overlooked in suitcase :)

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

5.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

More details on coral ... I had no idea 'real'

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      127 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      127 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      120 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      133 KB
      Views:
    Bronwen likes this.
  18. Cheryl LBJ

Cheryl LBJ Member

Obviously I have a lot to learn.. thanks for all the feedback!

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This is the best way to get an idea of what things are truly worth in today's market. A jeweler will ask if you want the appraisal for insurance purposes, which sounds good but is likely to get you an estimated value far beyond what you could get selling, sort of systemic insurance fraud. We'll help you to describe things so you can search.

What you may need a jeweller for is to check stones in rings or other jewellery where it is not clear if they are really the stone they appear to be or are glass. Do not assume that the stone in a gold ring is real. When gold was not as expensive as it is now, it was routine to set glass. And don't assume glass either!

How do the pearl earrings work? Have never seen a back like that. Are they for pierced ears?

Bakersgma likes this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

1C26ACC5-B19F-4728-A75B-E3AA49CC146E.jpeg If you have a magnifier, can you get photos of the marks inside, like where I’ve circled?

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted