Overpainted Pottery Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Jan 6, 2020.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

912CD79B-EE1B-4F95-8459-439640955533.jpeg 5F7A0106-7F84-405C-8689-7786351B74E4.jpeg Appears to be green in color under the paint. Will have to strip it but wonder if someone recognizes the shape?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It is an interesting shape. Looks deco to me.

i need help likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Kard, I'm curious why you keep finding over painted vases and bowls? Is "over painting" of vintage pieces popular where you live? The last two over painted Murano pieces, etc., just fascinating. I don't remember seeing anything like this before.

judy and i need help like this.
  4. kardinalisimo

Posted on FB, someone suggested McCoy Pedestal Line. Seems that’s what it is. Will post pics later when cleaned.
    No idea if fashion or not around here. I think overpainted pieces are everywhere, probably not everyone pays close attention.

judy likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

CA38D922-7B2E-4388-AE8A-58B01CD0FB88.jpeg 154F840D-0132-4A17-BA01-11752EBCABB7.jpeg Not my favorite but I guess better than before.

Firemandk, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

What did you use to get the paint off?

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Interesting, I’m with Lucille, I’ve never come across a piece of pottery that has been painted either!

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have several times. The worst I have had to deal with was a elderly friend who painted the stands of jardentiers a vivid blue to work as bird bath bottoms in her garden. I stripped 12 or 15 of the dang things. Some were extremely valuable. She was never able to tell me what she did with the tops of them, I think she just tossed them. She was a wonderful person but such a scatter brain.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

9. Marie Forjan

My new neighbors are paint crazy, they painted their brick fireplace (stands in the middle of the room so all 4 sides up to a vaulted ceiling). They also painted all the exposed beams and woodwork. They painted the floor in the entryway from the side door and finally, when they painted the doors, they also painted the door knobs. I’ve never seen that before!

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,
    When I sold my house in central Jersey back in 1970s. I had stripped off a layer of vinyl siding, a layer of aluminium siding, a layer of insual siding. repainted the original wooden siding. House was built in 1810, Stripped all of the woodwork inside including a double staircase with 5 spindles on each step. House went on to the Historic Tour after all the restoration. I refinished the chestnut wood work with tung oil so it never needed redoing. The couple that bought the house fell in love with all the details. I went back three years later to visit with my old neighbors. I told them I was going next door to look in the windows to see my old place. My neighbor said do not go over there. I went anyway. I wanted to burn the house down to the ground. The owners had painted all of the woodwork white! They tore out the staircase spindles and replaced them with wrought iron and steel cables. They had covered the house with vinyl siding. It was just so much to take. I was so upset that all I wanted to do was cry.
    greg

11. Marie Forjan

I feel your pain Greg!!!!!

Firemandk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted