Featured Owl Head Glass Paperweight - Mid Century? By Who?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jun 7, 2018.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies! Today's mystery is who made this owl head paperweight. It measures 3 1/8" across the base and 2 1/2" tall. Reminds me of the West Virginia glass companies like Blenko, etc. but I couldn't match it up. A Google image search was no help. The color is a bit more washed out than the pictures show. It's kind of a very washed out amber carnival. It's hollow. Does anyone recognize it? Thanks very much!
    Don

IMG_20180607_105743022.jpg IMG_20180607_105755235.jpg IMG_20180607_105805583.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    judy, Figtree3, SBSVC and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I reckon that's a lid.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

judy, Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Sure looks like the Deganhart owl face.
    Who did Deganhart get the mold from?
    [​IMG]

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I do remember that there was a company that made an owl on nest. I think it was Westmoreland. SBSVC reminded me of that dish. Westmoreland also owned the mold for the owl that cluttered found. And again, if I remember correctly those molds ended up at Degenhart after Westmoreland closed. The house sale I bought this from also had a number of Viking owl fairy lamp tops. I asked if they had the bases but they didn't. The couple that owned the house collected owls and didn't care if about the bottoms that went with them. Off to do more research. This should be in my Westmoreland books.
    Don

judy, yourturntoloveit and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted