Featured P & F stencil on 1880 sideboard? Can anyone identify maker?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Fora Dancer, May 23, 2022.

1. Fora Dancer

Fora Dancer New Member

sideboard.jpg stencil.png stencil.png sideboard.jpg sideboard.jpg stencil.png sideboard 2.jpg sideboard 3.jpg sideboard 4.jpg sideboard 5..jpg Hello, I was "talking" with a guy on FB who doesn't have a computer (! is that possible?!) telling him how great the people on this site are, and that if anyone could help him, you all could. So I'm uploading the pictures for him to see if anyone can help. He thinks its 1870-1880 (he wrote "renn era"?). 97 1/2 tall, 69 ish wide. He wrote he isn't planning to sell, which is good, I guess, because he refinished it. Anyway, I'll attach the pictures and see if anyone has any ideas. Thank you all!

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2022
    Firemandk, Ghopper1924, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

to me.....the P&F, has nothing to do with who and where the item was made..

Ghopper1924, judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Did your FB friend say exactly where on the piece the stenciled letters appear?

Ghopper1924, judy and Born2it like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Ghopper1924, any suggestions?? @Fora Dancer, where the owner of the piece is located or where he purchased it from, would be most helpful…….and it looks like he’s done a wonderful job refinishing/restoring the piece!!!

Ghopper1924, judy and Silverthorne like this.
  5. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Well-Known Member

It does indeed! I'm a huge fan of sideboards.

HUGE!!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Stunning! I would date this a bit later, ca. 1885-95. I take it "renn era" refers to Renaissance Revival. This is not Renaissance Revival, but rather Aesthetic Movement, as evidenced by the daisies, clovers, and shelving style. The bow-fronted drawers become more common at the tail-end of the style, ca. 1895-1910. Looks like a high-end piece!

I would guess the northeastern U.S. or England as a point of origin. So nice to see a beautifully executed piece like this....we've had too much "used furniture" around here lately :)

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am in complete agreement with Ghopper on this. The P&F could relate to a maker but would like to know where it is located on the piece. What are those other hand-drawn marks?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. Fora Dancer

Fora Dancer New Member

He wrote, "Stenciled is on the top of the lower cabinet, the marble sits over it."
    He also wrote, " The sideboard was in an auction house in Ohio. I've searched browser for p&f furniture in, oh,Penn, NY.NE, have found nothing before it got in Ohio, I have no idea where it was, the poor thing was caked with coal soot."

I appreciate all the info you guys have given me so far! I told him you are the best!!

Draft saved Draft deleted