Featured Pachyderm parade

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by aaroncab, Jul 8, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

A parade of carved elephants on a wooden stand - any help with where carved? India I guess would be my guess - I don't think they are African elephants...

Also am I correct that these are carved from horn(water buffalo perhaps)?

The lead elephant is 2 1/2" tall (about 6cm). The smallest at the back is 2"(5cm) tall and they get smaller from front to back.

Thanks again!

43187598512_b37843b5ca_kdev.jpg 43187576352_57601471c2_kdev.jpg 29366125088_6a87dbca24_kdev.jpg 41427279500_d2060304af_kdev.jpg 42332810875_5cafc88bbe_kdev.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very charming! I had not seen these before. Then I googled elephant bridge, and saw them everywhere. Sorry can’t help as to what they’re made of, just wanted to say how nice.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You really don't need us anymore, Hanum.., sorry, Aaron.:D Correct on both.:)
    And the tusks and eyes are bone, which you'd probably figured out too. Most of these parades are mounted on (water) buffalo horn. This one must be the delux version, on very nice wood.

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Every time I see one of these, I am reminded of the scene from "Elephant Walk," Where the elephants just tear down that magnificent home! (About the only good scene, as I recall.)

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am always reminded of the movie in general.
    [​IMG]

And Elizabeth Taylor's stunning dresses.:)
    [​IMG]

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Oh but I do! I feel like I'm only faking it when I happen to hazard a correct guess. Still very much grateful for all the help I get here just about every day. As to this item ... thanks for pointing out the tusks are bone. I'm glad they're not Ivory as I do plan on reselling this one. I thought the wooden stand on this one was very nice as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted