Featured Painted Miniature or overpainted photo?

Discussion in 'Art' started by curioso, Mar 24, 2023.

1. curioso

curioso New Member

Any idea if this is an overpainted photo or painting?
    Looks to be backed on ivory, or something similar. Certain parts of it are definitely painted, like the jewellery and dress, but not sure on all of it, is hard to make out and whether it is an overpainted photo or something. Looks to be Edwardian. Any help appreciated. Thanks image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image1.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd say hand tinted photo. A photographic emulsion can be applied to a wide variety of surfaces.

3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

When I first saw the photo , all I could see was the hair. It looked so real. I am with moreotherstuff on hand tinted photo if for no other reason than that.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree, too!

wlwhittier and ulilwitch like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

May we see the full mount please? That will give some indication of quality which will give some indication of medium.

Debora

6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Either way-exquisitely done !

curioso likes this.
  7. curioso

curioso New Member

Will try to take some better ones of the mount. I can't tell even from looking if just amazingly painted, or overpainted photo.I guess it is well painted either way! image6.jpeg image7.jpeg image9.jpeg

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries there were a lot of photos on ceramic media, and some were tinted. Not sure if that is what you have, since you mentioned ivory or something similar. There were also some printed on enameled metal and probably on early plastics (in the 20th century).

komokwa, johnnycb09 and curioso like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Shes lovely. I wonder if shes Russian?

curioso and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nahhh, she's not in a hurry !

:playful::playful::playful::playful::hilarious:

bluumz, Aquitaine, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Actually, I'm sure Fig & Mos probably know more about this than I do, but, I'm thinking it's more a combination too....if you click on your Image 1....very top image, to enlarge it to full size, as @curioso says, she thinks it's partial painted and partial photo.....I see it's got a coating of something sort of streaky on it.....but in looking at the facial features, eyes, eye liners, etc, it looks more painted....TO ME! BUT then look up in her 'tiara'....left side, grayish color, where I circled in red....there appears to be a signature in it.....that looks like S TROUAC...and not sure if there's an 'i' after the last letter or not.....at least that's what I think I see....and I haven't enhanced ANYTHING....it just popped out at me....I might not have the letters right either....it's VERY Sweet!!!​

CLOSEUP-TIARA.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted