Painted Wood Heads

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Brubaker50, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

80601DCA-5B52-4932-8F45-26FED9C69EA2.jpeg Could I get a bit of help identifying these two folk which I picked up earlier size is 9 inches by 6 inches each , any help always appreciated thank you.

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The "wood grain" looks painted on. Are you sure they are wood? Can we see the backs, please?

3. Brubaker50

Hi it looks like a file of the backs is attached to my first post thought I had a photo posted.

4. Brubaker50

Hi they’re definitely wood that’s actually the grain .

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think they might be souvenirs from Vendée, France.

Debora

220px-Blason_département_fr_Vendée.png

Jivvy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  6. Brubaker50

Will check thank you thought they might be souvenirs of some sort looks like they have a bit of age , though just a bit.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Look contemporary to my eye.

Debora

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And definitely not "tribal."

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I hate to belabor a point,but those sure look like some sort of plastic to me.

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. Brubaker50

Thank you just noticed the two hearts on a shield it was staring me in the face thank you for posting that photo.Yes I saw the photo earlier but didn’t look closely.

12. Brubaker50

13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Definitely cast from plaster or resin. Look at the air bubbles and the complete lack of texture on the flat surfaces on the reverse. Ridiculous grain texture too. No self respecting woodcarver would use an open-pored wood like this (I guess it's pretending to be oak) for an ultimately painted finish without filling the pores/gessoing as the grain REALLY distracts from the painted effect ..unless of course you wanted to flog said objets á touristique (pardon my French :inpain::eek::oops::rolleyes:)

14. Brubaker50

Not plastic I’m looking and handling them now definitely wood carved then painted.

15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

No, not wood.
    Souvenir wall-hangings; the apparent wood-grain is cast in. Most of these are plaster or resin-based, but yours could be another casting-medium. But not carvings.
    Real wood-grain consists of differences in hardness and porosity; in finished woodwork, wood grain is not shown by incised or colored lines of any sort. Incised lines, as seen in these pieces, would be nearly impossible to carve; and as blooey mentioned, a wood-worker would not leave grain-lines showing, but would fill and finish them.

Jivvy, Bakersgma, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  16. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

The 'grain' doesn't look right at all ... Joy.

Any Jewelry, 2manybooks and Aquitaine like this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Still looks more like plaster to me.....or resin....but not wood....IMHO!!!!

ZZZZZZ D077-4954-8DAD-8FBE84B332E6XX2.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

If they are of wood, why would anyone in their right mind spend the time and effort to hollow out the backs like that, making them look exactly like a cast object?

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The 'grain' is on the hollowed out parts, but it doesn't continue on to the flat parts which rest against the wall.

20. Brubaker50

I think you are right I thought it felt and sounded like wood but tried to cut with a knife and it just skimmed across one of the back edges.Not alabaster sounds hollow when wrapped like wood and feels like wood but it’s definitely not.

Draft saved Draft deleted