Painting / drawing Japanese fighter?

Discussion in 'Art' started by pingis, Feb 21, 2016.

1. pingis

pingis Member

Attached Files:

Pat P and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Chinese , I think.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This might help ......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. verybrad

Is it a painting on silk? The backing on your frame suggests this to be mid to late 19th century.

5. pingis

pingis Member

Thanks for making the pictures show up directly on the forum. I tried to do that with another object but was only able to make one picture visible. How do you do that? I don't think any silk is involved. I just had a look at it and it looks like old paper to me. Do you think I should open the frame and look for clues?

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'd call it an archer, not a fighter.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. verybrad

Since you already have your pics on-line, the easiest way is to go to your picture site, place your cursor over the picture you want to transfer, right click, hit copy picture, come here to the reply box, right click, and paste it into the text box

If you don't have pics on-line already, using the upload a file option at the bottom of the reply box will load pictures directly. Be sure to hit the full size option when uploading.

As always, with either method, pics need to be resized before loading.

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree with Brad that the framing indicates an older piece. It's a charming image, well executed in my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  9. verybrad

I don't think you need to open this. Nice little painting of a 19th century archer by an unknown artist. It would be nice to identify the figure further. I am also thinking Chinese. Bears some resemblance to Mongolian archers but I am not sure.

upload_2016-2-21_12-40-1.jpeg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. pingis

pingis Member

Since I am using a MacBook I can't right click. Oh, how I miss my old PC. I'll try to figure out how to use the upload function in abetter way next time I want to show something. Thanks a lot for letting me know how you do it verybrad.

11. pingis

pingis Member

I just opened it and I believe I found a clue. Well, not the kind of clue that tells the origins but probably how it ended up being mine. My grandfather moved from Sweden to the U.S.A. around 1915. He moved back to Sweden in the late 1920's. This painting (water color?) is painted on extremely thin paper, close to transparent. As a background I found a piece of cardboard and on its backside there were parts of a very old calendar. So I guess this is something my grandpa brought to Sweden when he returned from his American adventure. DSC02002.JPG

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  12. pingis

pingis Member

DSC02003.JPG Here is the painting held in front of a light.

13. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Yes, Chinese, 19th c and made for export. It comes likely from a whole album of those paintings...

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Probably rice paper. The calendar could be 1910, the preceding same calendar was 1898, and the following same calendar was 1921.

15. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Brad's picture is of the famous "Parthian shot." Now that's War!

The one Pingus has is afternoon sport. :)

16. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

When I post pictures that I already have online, I copy the direct link. I paste the link into envelope looking icon above, the one with the mountain and moon and paste the direct link into that box.

I really like your piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted