Painting Feom Artshow

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Jan 28, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Cannot see any signature. Don't know if some of the names on the back are of the artist. It was bought in 2006 but do you think it was done about that time? They usually sell art form local artists at those shows, don't they? Or any kind of art, old listed etc...?
    thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

Yep--- art show student work.

3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Kindergarten student....

antidiem and cxgirl like this.
  4. kardinalisimo

How did you come up with the Kindergarten student?

5. Mark London

Tongue in cheek, but "real" art shows tend to have proper names and exhibition labels, etc. Also, professional artists generally avoid using felt tip markers on the backs of artworks.

antidiem likes this.
  6. kardinalisimo

We don't know if the writings on the back were put by the artist. There was a paper tape with written "auction" on it but it fell off and I lost it. As we can see the "235" on the back matches the number on the other paper tape sticker. So, maybe a lot number? Then, why two names on the back?

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I am not knowledgeable about 2D art at all, but I would interpret some of the marks on the back thus:

See the copyright symbol? It is accompanied by words "ART show" and date 2006, which means to me that "ART show" was a business or legal entity name, as opposed to an event, and the entity produced the work in 2006 and simply wanted to prevent someone else from reproducing it.

8. Mark London

Since we're having fun guessing, maybe the 235 is the classroom number and one of the names is that of the student and the other is the teacher. The copyright symbol could have been added because it looks cute and/or professional.

9. springfld.arsenal

I did get a google hit for- "ART show" Lisa Garrison-a facebook page not now online. May have nuthin' to do with this-different L.G. etc.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

" Raven flying thru a burning building during a dust storm "

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Question - is the board with the writing stapled to the back actually part of the painting? It's possible it has nothing to do with the painting. If it's not, I'd be tempted to take it off and have a good look at the actual painting.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  12. kardinalisimo

The board is the back of the painting. I was thinking to remove the staplers to check the corners for siggy.

13. springfld.arsenal

The picture would look much more attractive if reframed in something other than that monstrosity. A flat canary-yellow frame would help it a lot.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  14. kardinalisimo

I know, kind of odd choice of antiquish frame for a modern painting.

15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The back of the canvas, the first thing I thought was: middle school or high school. The little curly-q "5" on the taped "235" and especially the bubble letters "ART", all done in Sharpie marker... probably middle school.

I'll go a step further. You can tell that it a girl who wrote it. (Taking that from the script, not the names.)

The painting itself is really odd for a middle school show, though. Very abstract. And the frame with this piece is a total mystery. Maybe the mother of the artist goes to thrift stores or something and thought it would be an impressive match?

I, myself, really struggle with abstract pieces, even when I see them in museums (valued in the tens of millions) I ask myself, "would I have paid $500 for this at an estate sale?"

With my limited knowledge and agonizingly slow learning curve with abstract art, I have to go with gut, if gut doesn't work, look at clues. Odd frame, kid's writing on the back, canvas seems to be roughly cut, a bit rounded at the top.

spirit-of-shiloh and antidiem like this.
  16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

From the back: a collaboration of two children for a school art show in 2006.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  17. komokwa

One would think !
    & having a daughter who graduated from Mass Art.......so would I ! ;)

antidiem likes this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Don't forget that parents and grandparents will put fancy frames around student art and hang it in their house proudly, said the guilty grandma.

19. komokwa

guilty as charged.....but i let her do the framing.....!
    hehehehe...!

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I collect old frames for my paintings, so I have plenty around and have indeed used some for the kids and now the grandkids.

Draft saved Draft deleted