Painting of a young man in purple uniform

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by J Dagger, Apr 25, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

35F28826-44EB-4548-820B-059F349E5F03.jpeg Where is this chap representing? He looks kind of Soviet region to me. I know Prussian and Hungarian armies wore purple uniforms sometimes.

On a side note does it look like a painting or a print? Leaning towards painting.This is my only pic on which to go.

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Possible color has changed with time. I can't tell the medium, but clearly based on a formal photo studio portrait.

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. J Dagger

Oh yeh that’s true. Could have been brown? What changes to purple?

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Maybe faded red? Although not sure a scarlet would become so blue.

Christmasjoy and J Dagger like this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

May be a photo which has been painted over in areas.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen, blooey and 2 others like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The coloring of the background looks an awful lot like the background from fashion magazines of the late 1800's to me. Could be a page from some kind of publication - in which case it would be a print with possible hand painted details = ala the white flowers.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and J Dagger like this.
  7. J Dagger

Interesting thought Houseful and BakersG! We shall find out soon enough. I laid down a $20 for it just because I liked the cut of his jib and the frame.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Depends on the size, but either a photo of a guy against a painted studio background, hand coloured, or a print of that photo.

J Dagger, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Don Cossacks ?

J Dagger and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

White gloves and all, looks like a bellhop to me. But WDIK?

J Dagger, Bakersgma and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That was my second choice, Aaron!

J Dagger likes this.
  12. Bronwen

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks!
    I am thinking it's a "crayon portrait" -- also known as "solar enlargement." Basically a colored-over photo print. There are articles out there about how they were made. Very popular technique in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. We've mentioned them in several other threads on this site. It might not be that, since the picture isn't really clear enough in its details to tell.

As for the uniform, I'm not very good at identifying them.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    J Dagger, anundverkaufen and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

I called you in for your photo expertise. Thanks! The militaria folks can deal with the uniform. :)

J Dagger and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Usually you can click on an image and enlarge it, but I couldn't with this. I kind of thought the same as aaroncab. Looks like a bellhop except for the pants and boots.

J Dagger, aaroncab and Bronwen like this.
  16. J Dagger

Looks like this young man is definitely hand colored. He is about 15”x20” so I don’t imagine he was out of a magazine but I guess it could have been a large one. Close up of the hat do anything for identifying him to anyone? Some of the Cossack uniforms look close but not exact. 644C6D86-822E-4428-9387-7C99B0BEAE71.jpeg 51CB3D2F-6C8C-44A7-B7ED-CEFFA01457E0.jpeg 13182482-E957-472F-90B7-2415090E9D8E.jpeg

aaroncab likes this.
  17. Dolce

Dolce New Member

The color of the uniform looks for sure like a faded red, and it is the uniform of the Russian empire policemen (beginning of the 20th century) the position is called Gorodovoy.

J Dagger, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  18. J Dagger

I believe you’ve hit the Yahtzee! Spasiba! A15BD8BF-792C-4984-AC53-28E7A8269A9B.jpeg 139FD124-5F65-46CA-BA02-BAA613EE73B7.jpeg 74B0FFD0-F16B-4068-852F-814727194E90.jpeg C496AA43-FF6E-4B6A-A785-50BFFE2BFAE0.jpeg

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted