Featured Painting of girl, signature unread ..any ideas?

Discussion in 'Art' started by blooey, Mar 4, 2020.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I was talking about my Balinese carvings and the Dutch connection with an old friend and he mentioned he had a drawing that he thought might be by a Dutch painter in Indonesia .....well, I can't read the signature but maybe someone else might have better luck?

girl.jpg

sig.jpg

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is, and it is very nice.
    Trouble is, I can't read the first part of the surname, at least not in a way that makes sense to me. The last part looks like either -genoord or -genaard, both are possible in Dutch surnames. It could also be -genaars.
    I keep reading Woigenaard, which makes no sense at all to a Dutch person.:(

There were many Dutch-Indonesian artists in Indonesia, in fact most Dutch-Indonesians have an artistic streak. A Dutch-Indonesian who can't sketch or play music is considered to have a genetic defect.:playful: We are talking about millions of people, mostly with Dutch surnames.
    And many Dutch artists went out to Indonesia for a few years to sketch and paint, making a search without a name impossible.

This is a webpage on the 'Indische School', basically paintings during the colonial period:

https://www.schilderijen-site.nl/encyclopedie/indische-school/

It has several lists of painters, so scroll through the entire page. If the artist also painted, he or she could be on the list.
    So look for a name ending in -genoord, -genaard, or -genaars.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's lovely! I have no idea but on the thought that it takes a village to solve a problem I'll throw in what I think I see.

W Woughboard
    Wh_ough___d

Houseful, judy, lloyd249 and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

:( Can't relate it to any Dutch name.

judy and lloyd249 like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

judy, lloyd249, blooey and 1 other person like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Those are only surnames from a small eastern region called De Achterhoek. Someone whose surname ends in -genoord, -genaard, or -genaars is unlikely to be from De Achterhoek.
    It also says on the site: "Most of the people in this tree come from Aalten, Bredevoort, Dinxperlo, and Winterswijk." Those are only four small municipalities.

The green part is De Achterhoek:

[​IMG]

Figtree3, judy and lloyd249 like this.
  7. sabre123

Ah, thanks AJ.

lloyd249 and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Houseful, Figtree3, judy and 7 others like this.
  9. sabre123

Nice find! Looks like a match on the sig

lloyd249, komokwa and i need help like this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@i need help - You are brilliant! You definitely nailed it!

11. i need help

Please look further into this. Like I said other signatures of that artist look different to me. Maybe @Any Jewelry can help.

12. sabre123

13. Any Jewelry

You are absolutely right, inh, and I should have known, I have seen his work before.
    He is Dutch, born in Amsterdam in 1892, but traveled to Sumatra and Bali in the 1910s. He was quite an adventurer, and the sketches and paintings from his travels are his best known work. He died in Blaricum, not far from Amsterdam, in 1980.

blooey, when I saw the girl, my first thought was Sumatra. Not 100% sure she is, but she is more Sumatran looking than Balinese.

Figtree3, mmarco102, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'm convinced. I can read it now, no problem many thanks to all especially @i need help

15. i need help

Ok, as long as everyone is sure. I’m always reluctant to suggest a well known artist, so as not to cause a false alarm.

I was thinking the first letter was a D, looked on the link from AnyJewelry and there it was.

Teamwork! Without that link I never would have figured it out. ;)

Figtree3, Houseful, judy and 5 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

:kiss:

judy, lloyd249, blooey and 2 others like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

takes a village.................................... of smarty pants !!!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

18. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Short bio,
    WILLEM DOOYEWAARD
    Willem (1892-1980), the sixteen years younger brother of Jaap, was in many ways his polar opposite. Despite large differences in character and painterly views, the brothers liked each other a lot. Willem was adventurous and went on long trips. He went painting and drawing in the Dutch India, worked in Bali and went to China and Japan. He even crossed the virtually inaccessible Mongolia until Tibet. He was very impressed by these trips. All that had captivated him during his travels, he painted in a smooth impressionistic style. He developed a powerful and personal style. He exhibited many times abroad; in London, Brussels, New York, Berlin and Antwerp, and also in various cities in Netherlands. Back in the homeland, he found a new topic: the ballet dancer, which he showed in a variety of poses. He, however, continued to seek the light and travelled to the coast of southern France and North Africa in order to paint. Eventually he finally returned back to Netherlands and he moved with his wife Jacoba in with his brother Jaap in Blaricum in ' The 7 Linden ' in 1935. The brothers were reunited after many years: 'two very different artists, choosing for art in their lives.’

Houseful, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  19. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

20. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I just made an offer on the drawing, looks like it will be mine very soon. As @Any Jewelry suggested, the portrait appears to be from his Sumatran trip in the 1910's, ..similar paper and medium to this other Malaysian portrait.

willem-dooyewaard-maleische-vrouw.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted