Pair caned bergérs.....queen anne ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by norman warbreck, Sep 26, 2016.

1. norman warbreck

norman warbreck Well-Known Member

Hi all
    I have just joined this fancinating board....wow.
    I have recently purchased this pair of chairs and have no idea to their origin date and wood.
    The small swirls on the legs and hand carved as well as the scrolls on the arms. No two alike.
    Under the front legs it looks like they have chipped away the wood....meaning it looks , can i say not so neat. I just love the sweep of the back legs and the bending look of the front legs.
    The cane work looks exceptional ....but am no expert.
    There is so much grime which needs to be cleaned. The seat has springs and horse hair....but i guess they have been redone as the material is newer and has small nails being used.
    All the parts of the chairs have been glued.......no screws nails or other.
    Hope this helps in identifying the country of origin as well as date
    kid regards
    norman

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

yourturntoloveit and cxgirl like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Any chance we could see a pic of the bottom ? Usually when I see caned furniture I automatically think a tropical climate origin ,but thats not always true. Just a stab in the dark,but my first thought was English. Those arm rest scoops are interesting .

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think probably European and 20th century. If older, I would probably expect these to be in mahogany or walnut. This looks like beech to me. I suppose they could be English but I tend to think of beech chairs as being continental. A lot of beech chair frames were sourced from the Eastern European countries, in particular, Yugoslavia.

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

No thought on origin, but ooosa woosa! ain't they purtty!

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. norman warbreck

norman warbreck Well-Known Member

Hi everbody
    Thanks for looking....here are a couple of pics of the underside. I had an idea that this chair was redone with springs...?

Attached Files:

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would imagine the springs are original. I don't see anything to change my opinion on these. They do have some legitimate age but I doubt any older than late 19th century, if that old. I will add that I am not well versed on furniture from across the pond so someone with more expertise, might have a different opinion than mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted