Pair Carlo Of Hollywood Paintings On Wood

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 15, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I've owned one and seen in person few pieces by Carlo but they were all on canvas. Never seen one on rough wood like those. Plus the botanical subject seems to be not very typical for the artist.
    I know this has been discussed before but does any one have a confirmed information on who Carlo was. Did he do all the paintings by himself or had other artists who signed with that name. Maybe something similar to the Lee Reynolds paintings?
    Any info on the Artcraft company?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask. There are queries on the old boards (2 by the same person) about Carlo of Hollywood in the past day or so. Should be easy to find. There are answers to your questions there.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I just found some great info here:
    http://hepcatrestorations.com/carlo-of-hollywood/

Still trying to find something painted on wood like mine. I may be wrong but it seems to be rare to find Carlo's paintings that are fully dated.Kind of interesting that mine were dated two days apart.

5. Bakersgma

Maybe the artist who did those wasn't around long enough to do more?

You know when I first saw your pictures, I thought the larger size image was going to show evidence of a decoupage with the edges painted over. Quite surprised to see that it was not.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have never seen Carlo paintings on wood either. These seem a bit high-brow for Carlo with the Latin names and all but they are definitely Carlo with the label. I have also never seen a Carlo painting with a date on the front.

I can't say I am an expert in Carlo of Hollywood ... :cool: I have done some research at one point. For as many of these paintings as there are out there, there really is not a lot of information. There was one guy with a website that had a bit of information and he had hinted that he was writing a book and getting ready to reveal who Carlo was. I can no longer find that website.

Here is an old thread that I replied to over on ebay with a bit of discussion about Carlo. It is worth a read. One of the more interesting responses contains the following information:

"attached in the back of the painting was a paper that reads-About Our Paintings-Artcraft of Hollywood is fortunate to have under exclusive contract 43 talented young artists who paint by special order only the beautiful originals our art directors create. Each and every artist has his own technique and style which therefore prohibits the finding of another painting exactly such as this.
    It is our aim to turn art "yearners" into art owners by offering sensiblyh priced Originals by American Artists
    We hope you feel the same emotion when looking at this beautiful painting as the artist felt when he was painting it. Judge its value by how much feeling you get out of it and how strong the felling registers. Artcraft of Hollywood"

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Mid-Century-Modern/Carlo-of-Hollywood/td-p/2466281

7. Bakersgma

Let me repeat - Yay Brad!

8. verybrad

Nice to be appreciated somewhere ;)

Aquitaine, Lucille.b, Debora and 2 others like this.
  9. Bakersgma

10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

12. Ali

Ali New Member

I have a painting by Carlo of Hollywood, it is on wood. I'm trying to get information to find out what it is worth and I would like to sell it to a person who will take care of it and appreciate it. I just no longer have room because I just moved into a studio apartment. If you could give me any information that would be greatly appreciated!

13. verybrad

I think what information you are going to find is here. There is a definite Carlo following on ebay so that might be your best bet for sale.

14. Deborah

Deborah New Member

I have a Carlo painting I want to sale.I'm asking for help to find out the worth and for a buyer. Please email me at perezdeborah55@yahoo.com

15. Mason Dearing

Mason Dearing Chief15

16. Mason Dearing

Mason Dearing Chief15

IMG_3316.JPG I have a painting with the same CARLO signature. Does anyone know of this painting? Thank you

17. Mason Dearing

Mason Dearing Chief15

The only signature that I have ever research is the one on the wood in the last message.

18. verybrad

This thread dates to 2014. To my knowledge, there isn't any new information about Carlo of Hollywood. Yours looks like a typical work and would have some value. I don't think the market is quite as strong as it was a few years ago but they do sell.

Here are most recent ebay sales. Note that there is one very similar to yours that sold as part of a pair. Be aware that the paintings with the asymmetrical frames bring a premium and you may need to set your sites a bit lower than what some of these brought.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

judy likes this.
  19. Mason Dearing

Mason Dearing Chief15

Hello everyone. Should I sell this painting. I live in hawai and don't really no what to do with this painting.

20. Mason Dearing

Mason Dearing Chief15

Thank you. I'm going to try and sell the painting.

Draft saved Draft deleted