Pair of american bookshelters to identify the artist

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lecollectionneur, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

I have a pair of american founder Benjamin Zoppo bookshelters depicting cub bears playing, bought in a private house years ago and as we are on an american forum, somebody can eventually help me to identify the artist, seems to be xx. Simmon(s).

The authenticity gives me no problem, the origin is clear, all is normal, cast wax with very good finish, not overmoulded etc…, and there is no interest to make something you can't found easily.

The bookshelters in situation.
    [​IMG]

The founders mark.
    [​IMG]
    The artist mark in different pictures.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I read Simmons as well.
    Could the bit before that be a number? 1771?
    upload_2018-10-4_12-15-6.jpeg
    _dsc5164.jpeg

3. Lecollectionneur

It's very difficult to say, more bigger is the picture less readable is it…:arghh:

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:(
    Maybe you can rub some flour in it, so the letters/numbers look white against the dark background.

5. Lecollectionneur

Normally I use chalk for his neutrality, here I can try with some paper and carbon to see if it can give better results.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Over here, they are called bookends. Just saying. I haven't heard them called bookshelters before, and its not a search term that would have ever occurred to me.

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

"Bookshelters". I like it - visions of little umbrellas over your books. :)

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It looks like 'Simmons' to me too, but also searched for 'Summers', with equal lack of success. No Simmons or Summers did work like this. Zoppo seems to be a well respected foundry, casting works by various sculptors. Have twice seen mention of Zoppo bookends dated 1914.

9. Lecollectionneur

I've found this word in my old dictionnary, it seems not to be in use now.
    Number of pictures now without better results filling the marks, but more differents colors are coming. ;-)

Any Jewelry and moreotherstuff like this.