Featured Pair of blue opaline glass vases / bottles

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Dec 27, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Any idea on the age/origin of these? 6 1/2" tall. Rough pontil scars. Thank you for your help :)

~

38447775285_2f36584472_k.jpg 24461410077_89be17f8cb_k.jpg 25456407238_a2402e5d7f_k.jpg 39296061152_8c6a7dec69_k.jpg 38448022025_00b56d0b02_k.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very pretty, aaron. European with the crossed seven?

pearlsnblume and aaroncab like this.
  3. aaroncab

Thanks B - yeah my guess would be European to start - I read that most opaline glass was originally French - but I think a lot has been made elsewhere since the French stuff was made in the mid 19th. Guess it could be Czech or even English?

judy likes this.
  4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

This is what I think of as Bristol Blue glass.

judy, *crs* and aaroncab like this.
  5. aaroncab

Thanks George - there's so much to learn about glass! Clearly I'm still new at this - but when I just googled "Bristol Blue" glass - most of what I'm seeing is a transparent cobalt blue - which is a bit different from these. Is there more than 1 type of Bristol Blue?

Example - the wikipedia article on Bristol Blue (might not be accurate):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_blue_glass

and a google image search for bristol blue:

https://www.google.com/search?q="br...wKrYAhXERt8KHZCgAzsQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1094&bih=511

judy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think the numbers may indicate that the bottles had stoppers at one time.
    Probably vanity bottles.

judy, pearlsnblume, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

These are very definitely bohemian, ca. 1900. The form and color are found in catalogs from the period. The catalogs are from wholesalers, however, not manufacturers.

8. aaroncab

Thank you CH - very good to have a solid ID on at least the region and timeframe. Much appreciated.

judy likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Don't you dare call it Bristol Blue. ;) Unless it comes from there and is deep clear blue, it ain't.

This is blue milk glass, I totally agree Bohemian and turn of the century. Shape, as Cherry says, colour, enamelling, snapped pontil.

I don't think those had stoppers: that's a typical decorator's number so that they could be paid the piecework rates. Stopper matching numbers are usually engraved.

For future reference, that crossed seven is not British - or at least, was not used back then, so they'd have to be continental.

judy, Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BUT, I LOVE the color and birds!!!!!:smug::smug:

aaroncab and judy like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Love that color. I also cross my sevens, but not European here.
    :)

aaroncab and judy like this.
  12. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I am a little late commenting but I wanted to say I think those are lovely!

I do not think they had stoppers as all my early stoppered glass has been ground a little inside the neck to get a firm fit with the ground stoppers.

They would have a prominent place in my collection if they were mine!:)

judy, aaroncab and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Until about 10 years ago, that type of glass was called "Bristol" on this side of the pond. Maybe 15 years (they go by so fast any more). We've been trying to change, but the old price lists still exist, (publishers don't print modern price lists, no money in it, the prices drop so fast.)

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pearls,
    I aslo cross my 7s as well as my Zs. Too many years in Medicine. Too often seeing mistakes as 1s being 7s and Z being 2s.
    greg

aaroncab, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hi Greg, I also cross my Zs. My handwriting is terrible so I tried to make it somewhat clearer, if that is even possible.
    :)

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I cross sevens and Zs, but it's not taught that way here. I also put an oblique over zeros, which goes back to my IT roots.

Draft saved Draft deleted