Pair of brass frames with colonial people on white oval ceramic or glass

Discussion in 'Art' started by rknarr2, Sep 10, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I found a pair of brass frames with colonial people on white oval ceramic or glass. I am not sure if these are wall décor or jewelry. I hope they are as old as the colonial people on the white oval ceramic or glass. I have my doubts because of how white the other side of the oval ceramic or glass is with age. They are each around 2 1/2" x 4" x 1/8" I would like to find out age, period they are from, metal frames material, what they are used for like wall décor or jewelry and if they are valuable or not? Also, one of them came unglued from its frame, what type of glue should I use to put it back into the frame?
    Here is what I found in my research but the people are not old enough and these are a lot bigger than the ones that I have as follows:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-VINTAGE-...X12/223547464432?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Thank you for your assistance in this request. Rob
    IMG_5384small.JPG IMG_5385small.JPG IMG_5399small.JPG

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hi, Rob! They appear to be decorative wall plaques. The images are typically described as "courting couples" and are (loosely) based on the paintings of the French artist Fragonard (1732-1806.) It's likely they're transfers rather than hand painted. These types of plaques were popular in the 1960s but can date to a bit before or a bit after.

Debora

images.jpg

Bakersgma, Jivvy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  3. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information. Interestingly, I was looking at the bottom of one of the images and through my magnify glass I noticed Fragonard name as shown in below photo. So, maybe this copied image or fake is based on Fragonard painting. Rob
    IMG_5394small.JPG

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted