Featured Pair of Japanese SATSUMA ?? Vases. Help to ID Please!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Apr 1, 2018.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I thought these were a great buy for $22.50 at a local auction. They measure 9 inches tall. I have looked through Gotheborg and found similar marks but nothing exact. Any idea who made them? THANKS!

japan1.jpg japan4.jpg japan3.jpg japan2.jpg japan6.jpg japan5.jpg

judy, dgbjwc, aaroncab and 1 other person like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

Hello Vitry- le- Francois very nice pieces of Satsuma, of earthenware , Gosu blue background, generally from Kyoto Kinkozan factory, unable to recognise the artist, however someone else on the forum may assist there. The date of manufacture is 1910 to 1920 and would have been made for the export market.
    Mrs. pewter2 ( she who must be obeyed )has provided me with this information as she is an avid collector of Satsuma. Hope this helps....regards ..pewter2, (and
    Mrs. pewter2).

judy, SBSVC, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  4. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Very nice!

judy likes this.
  5. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

THANK YOU Mr. & Mrs Pewter for the wonderful information!

judy likes this.
  6. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

Our pleasure ....Mrs. pewter2 envious...... keep on buying at that price and you will do very well...more like double what you paid then add a zero over here ....well done...definitely a keeper !!....regards.. pewter2

judy likes this.
  7. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Very new contemporary. non-famous maker. Reads "Kui Shan", cannot be found on website.
    Good for decoration if they are big pieces.

judy and KentWhirled like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a big difference.......hummmmm!

judy likes this.
  9. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

The marking is the manufacture and I cannot find any reference of this manufacture. By observing the exterior of this vase, it looks pretty new, so I think it is a newer contemporary piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted