Pair of large female torchere. Need help please

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by LUCY, Dec 17, 2017.

1. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I would appreciate if the metal can be confirmed as bronze. Also, what period are they from? Any additional intel would be great! including potential value.

They are 26 inches tall and the base is 6 inches at the base. There are no markings/signatures.

Thank you in advance,
    Lucy

2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Welcome!!! They are very attractive but the base picture does not look like bronze to me IMHO. At least not a traditional bronze. Seems to be some kind of wrap thing going on there?

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2017-12-17_21-17-38.png

It appears that an outer piece is chipped off. Does the inside look like grey metal?

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)

kyratango likes this.
  5. buyingtime777

I am thinking these may be copper clad if the picture of the strap across the bottom is showing the true color.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    KingofThings, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

the color is close. Is a shiny like brass and there is chalk still in it. How old do you think they are?

I have to take a closer look. Also the bases seem different. I will get back to you.

7. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

What do you mean by wrap thing?

KingofThings, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. buyingtime777

These appear to have a very thin layer of metal over another substance in the picture. This is not how a traditional cast bronze piece is made.

9. buyingtime777

There should not be anything a different color inside the finger if it is cast bronze.

10. clutteredcloset49

Much of the 1920s - 30s figurines were pot metal (spelter) that was bronze, brass or copper clad. Made it more affordable.

I suspect that is what you have.
    Older, but not solid bronze.

In fact there was a thread only a couple of weeks ago with something similar, only missing the candle cups.

11. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Thank you. Interesting.

So, are they worthless??

judy and KingofThings like this.
  12. buyingtime777

Not worthless but not as valuable as solid bronze. I am not qualified to estimate a price. I would describe them as "bronze clad spelter" or "spelter" and search for sold comparables to try to get an idea of value. I believe they originally had some kind of bases under them BTW, possibly alabaster.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

KingofThings and judy like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have stayed off this thread since photos and info are not really sufficient to say anything definitive. My gut reaction is that these are fairly modern, plated spelter, with applied patina. Could be brass but sincerely doubt bronze. Would really like the OP to do a scratch test. Quality of the casting is not good enough to be 19th century and that very dark patina screams late 20th century. Doubt these had any other bases.

15. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

16. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Thank you. I am new at this.

17. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

18. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Thank you... I am in a learning curve.

19. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You are the OP (Opening Poster).

20. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Thank you for clarifying that. Now, I would I do a scratch test? Where and what am I looking for? My specialty is jewelery, I am trying to branch out. Thank you again.