pair of mythical figurals, Derby or Edme Samson? and who are these guys anyway.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 17, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. sunday silence

I did find another example of same/similar on worthpoint. It's the exact same pair perhaps with slightly different coloring. However, that pair was said to have the blue crossed swords of Edme Samson. Also two limbs were broken an arm on each one.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. Roaring20s

5. sunday silence

Hello Roaring20s: which picture are you referring to exactly. I have looked at the links you posted. Is it your opinion it is a derby mark? In the piece I show, the crown does not have those little dots (stippling?) around it like nearly all the derby marks have. The D is also markedly different, I dont think that's by accident.

Also another thing that makes me pause, is that one of the marks is on the front edge of the base (shown in pic 1). Isn't that more of an Edme Samson thing? I dont have enuf experience to say but I know we've seen a couple examples here of Edme where the mark (I think it was the anchor) was on the front edge of the base.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  6. Roaring20s

I'm no expert just adding information to the post. I just hope it helps you and/or some other viewer figure out the mystery.

They are pretty statuettes. It's sad the moon goddess is missing a foot. At least it's in the back.

Does one or the other maker add value?
    Were other makers known to pirate these?

It's all very interesting.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  7. sunday silence

Hello Roaring. I pulled out the Godden's book and it does show something similar to the one I show and says that there was a lot of variation since these were individually painted. So it might be derby circa 1820 if true. Not sure how much it affects value as the Edme Samson ones still have value and there's issues of condition, and what people are willing to pay. So there's so much variety its hard to say. I was asking mostly from a technical stand pt. about whether it was derby.

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Try Diana & Endymion.

KSW and Roaring20s like this.
  9. Roaring20s

Draft saved Draft deleted