Featured Pair of vintage child's bracelets, sterling and turquoise, maker's stamp, arrowhead. Few questions

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Got these yesterday at an estate sale. They are tiny, definitely bracelets for a small child.

The bracelet with just one turquoise stone has the arrowhead mark shown below. The three stone bracelet only has the mark "Sterling".

Maker for the stamped one? I think it says "coin" and "900" or "980".

Thanks for taking a look.

f2.jpg f3.jpg f4.jpg f5.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Tourist items from the southwest.

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Does the "coin 900" or "coin 980" date the one piece? Was thinking from other items at the auction that these might have been from the 1970s or so.

4. Lucille.b

5. Hollyblue

The one with the ravens looks like there may be something near the left end of the piece.900 has been U.S. coin silver for many years.

i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Lucille.b

I see what you mean. Just took a 2nd look.

Possible but thinking probably not, the initials "A V". It is really hard to see even with extra magnification. More inclined to think it is just an imperfection in the metal, but sort of looks like an A and a V if I had to guess.

Although the standard, are modern pieces stamped with the word "coin and 900"? Was thinking the stamp might help date it a bit.

These bracelets are incredibly small. For a very young child-- like a 4 year old.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

No help but i just wanted to say,my grandmothers fingers were SO tiny that even my mother,who has tiny fingers,couldnt wear her rings after she passed. Nobody can ! So these could have been some adult womans!

8. Hollyblue

@Lucille.b

What are the diameter and opening measurements ,the 3 stone bracelet has been stretched quite a bit.

9. Lucille.b

These are positively child's jewelry. In the hand it is absolutely clear. And not a 10 year old's but even for a younger child, like a 4-5 year old would be my guess. They are tiny. There might be some adult out there that could get away with it, but would need to have unusually small wrists. Even the width is smaller than average.

Did some measurements around the outside. The one stone bracelet has 5" of metal and just a 7/8th" opening.

The 3 stone one has 4 1/8th" inches of metal, and a 1 5/8th" inch opening.

Both pieces are almost the same if you make a full circle, the 3 stone one at 6" and the 1 stone at 5 7/8th".

Probably belonged to the same little girl, maybe she kept wearing the smaller one she got at an earlier age, and needed to open it further to get her wrist in (diameter being near the same for the two) but just a guess on that part.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The coin silver one could be slightly older. The stones on the three stone one are matched, that usually means post-1970.
    The arrow mark could be a shop mark, but I can't find it.
    And I can only find an A V mark for a non-NA silversmith called Andrea Vacc, who always marks the fineness and S.Fe (Santa Fe) as well. So it is not hers.
    A total of 6 1/2" would fit me.

Kimbert, i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Thanks for taking a look and for the additional info, AJ.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Lucille, you might want to look at Old Pawn and Fred Harvey era cuff bracelets. I have 2 that I know for a fact that I bought with my meager spending money as a child in the mid 1950s at a reservation in the southwest. Neither are marked but I think they are silver with small turquoise 'chips' in them.
    Patd

Lucille.b likes this.
  13. Lucille.b

Thank you, Patd.

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Old Pawn is the old, heavy jewellery Native Americans wore themselves. It has enough silver and stones to be used as pawn in the (mostly Navajo) currency system. It was used for barter, later as an investment.
    They still often can't get loans, and have to have valuable items to pawn if they need something like a car.
    A lot of 'dead' pawn was never sold by the traders it was pawned to. It was often held until the original owner could redeem it, which could be years later, long after the pawn period had lapsed.

These cuffs are charming, but they were made for the tourist trade.
    The coin silver cuff could be Fred Harvey Era, which is ca 1900-1930 or 1955, depending on your point of view. It is also called railroad jewellery.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    komokwa and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted