Featured Pair of Windsor chairs I couldn't pass up

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jeff Drum, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I have WAY too many old chairs, and try not to buy more. But this (almost) pair I couldn't pass up. Not really a pair, but close. The best part is the label underneath one of them:
    P6131100.JPG P6131101.JPG P6131102.JPG P6131103.JPG P6131104.JPG P6131106.JPG

"THIS CHAIR was of the wedding outfit presented To ANNIS AIKEN DOLE of Danville, Vermont, Who married James Nichols of Northfield Vermont January First 1826 and was presented to MARGARET NICHOLS FORD on January First, 1903 By Doctor George Nichols."

Almost 200 years old(!) and in wonderful shape with no repairs, yet not the most collectible of Windsors, being refinished early 19th century and step-down back, but personally I think this is one of the most pleasing of the Windsor designs. The first Windsor I've found with a reliable date. I even found an online link to confirm the wedding date (online says Jan. 3 1826) and the grooms first name (which I had assumed was John not James): http://www.nekg-vt.com/news/news-danville-northstar-g-1807-32.php

I really don't understand how no one in the family was interested in keeping it. I guess it's not as cool as the newest iphone but still...

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Guessing Dr. Nichols is the son of James & Annis and Margaret is his daughter. Somewhere along the line the chain of inheritance was broken or chairs came to someone with no space for them. You would think, even if antique chairs held no interest, the family history would, for a direct descendant with a roomy house.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  3. Jeff Drum

OK, you made me look up the doctor! Found this link: http://vermontcivilwar.org/museum/flood/gnichols.php

and this one: http://vermontcivilwar.org/get.php?input=4307

During civil war he was commissioned surgeon, 13th VT INF, enlisted 9/24/62. He died in 1907, just four years after giving this chair to (probably) his niece (or grand-niece?) since it looks like his children both died in infancy.

"Hon. George Nichols: Son of James and Annie A. Nichols, was born in Northfield, April 17, 1827. Me married Ellen Maria, daughter Of Abjijah and Maria B. Blake, of Vergennes, April 8, 1852. Mrs. Nichols was born in New Haven, April 1, 1832. To them were born Alice Margaret in 1853, and a son in 1858, both of whom died in infancy."

"Continued in the practice of his profession with eminent success till his return from the army in 1863, having served as surgeon of the Thirteenth Regiment, Vermont Volunteer Militia, in the war of the rebellion. In 1865 he was appointed Secretary of State by Governor Smith, which office he has since continuously held. In 1870 he was a member and President of the Constitutional Convention."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. Bronwen

Maybe you have something of interest to a Vermont historical society, although you have 2, when there could have been another 6 or 8, so could be they have a few already. Wonder if every chair was labeled with the provenance or you got very lucky with this one.

Jeff Drum and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Jeff Drum

Thanks for the thought. I’ll send them a couple pics and a link to the discussion here and update if they’re interested.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Jeff Drum

They replied very quickly, and said they were not interested, because they too have too many chairs. Oh well...

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Did you tell them to sit on it? :angelic:

Jeff Drum and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted