Pair Sterling Cups

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kardinalisimo, Jan 11, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

D2321433-C080-43C7-8D1B-3E47C0C74D6A.jpeg 52D9446C-1A12-48E3-A8C5-60EA1A57C68D.jpeg 9E871A31-B170-49EF-B7F5-74EB2ECDA0D2.jpeg 10F16D19-3CB6-4D6C-B9E7-E1BCA3DF381E.jpeg Mark just sterling so I guess generic pieces.
    Etched with Pres. By Hob. True FRS. The last could stand for a lot of things?

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

4. kardinalisimo

Kiddush make sense as there are stars of David engraved.
    Could be the Royal Society but there are so many other meanings of the FRS.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The actual engraving is Fr.S. Note the period in the middle and the smaller size of the R as compared the the F.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It looks more like FR. S . The engraving is a bit amateurish but the dot after the R is very large, I can't really see one after the F.
    The R is noticably smaller than the F and S.

Sometimes a straight trascription misses details like this.
    Unless the item had strong British connections Fellpw of the Royal Society seems unlikely. As it does not have British marks, I'd rule that out. Comparing the two cups, given the low quality engraving, may show other anomalies.

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  7. kardinalisimo

What about the Hob. and True?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think these are American. I found a similar one not long ago with similar engraving, but without the words. It had the same Sterling mark. I had it figured for an American piece engraved by someone trained in Latvia or Lithuania, because the engraving style on some 19th century stuff was similar. In this case, they may have used a Star of David because it was easier to draw correctly than a 5-pointed one. What the writing means...not a clue.

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They are "wriggling/rocker"engraved a common technique in a number of countries for over 200 years,impossible to state where someone was trained in the technique.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted