Featured Pale Blue Etched (?) Glass Plate - Any Information Appreciated

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 22, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I never knew how hard it was to take a picture of a glass plate. so excuse the photos please. I think this plate is etched, but I don't know enough about glass dishes to tell. The undersurface is rough, though. It is transparent in the light, but has a pale blue/green color to it when inside. The design is a swan in a pond with cattails and a basket of flowers around the edge. The plate is 10 1/4" in diameter. I would like to learn about vintage and antique glass and so I bought this as a learning tool. I tried searching the net, but was overwhelmed. So if you can give me some information, I can go from there.
    IMG_2238.jpg IMG_2239.jpg IMG_2240.jpg IMG_2241.jpg IMG_2244.jpg

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

judy, scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is the bottom of the plate ground and polished? Or molded?

5. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

It certainly looks like elegant etched depression glass to me from the 1930s. There was attractive but lower quality depression glass, and then there was elegant glass from the same period. Your beautiful plate looks like that to me. One resource you might try is Replacements.com. They have a gigantic inventory of old glass as well as a free research service with which you can submit a few photos of your plate and they will research and possibly identify the maker and date range. It's worth a try.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. KikoBlueEyes

I would guess ground and polished. There is a flat edge about 3/8 inch wide that seems to have a slight variability to it. I just also realized it has a raised area in the middle, so it's not really a plate but perhaps something a bowl would sit on. Kind of like a big saucer.

7. KikoBlueEyes

That's great. I'll try that. I've seen a lot of miscellaneous glass and this seemed special to me. Thank you.

i need help, scoutshouse and Jaena like this.
  8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

It is easier to make and use a bowl mold than a plate shape so yours probably started as a bowl and was flattened into a plate shape by a skilled glass worker.

9. KikoBlueEyes

That is very helpful to know. Thank you. Actually, now that I think about it is a wonderful thing to contemplate, rather than mass production, a thing created by a skilled artist.

i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  10. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

You are quite welcome! I know they helped me on several occasions.

11. KikoBlueEyes

Request submitted. Will update post if I hear anything.

12. KikoBlueEyes

Heard back from Replacements and they could not identify the pattern.

judy and i need help like this.
  13. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

Jaena and judy like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Well the glass identification site email where the pedestal bowl with the same pattern was listed is closed due to inactivity. Still a mystery.

Jaena likes this.
  16. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

bowl/compote looks a bit familiar; here's the image incase someone recognizes the pattern:

[​IMG]

Jaena likes this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks very much for doing this. I never thought to post the picture. :facepalm:
    I love how it sort of leans to the side.

18. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

It's possible your plate is the underplate to this compote. They made a lot of those duos in the 1930s. Too bad we can't get the measurements of the compote base.

Draft saved Draft deleted