Palm leaf manuscript, what language?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hamptonauction, Oct 23, 2019.

1. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I purchased this manuscript many years ago, This was purchased, by the previous owner at a Philips auction, auction sale #603, this was item # 780. I tried several times contacting the auction house for info but never received a reply. I would like more info on it, language, date... it has 100 sheets with writing on both sides of the leaf, it measures 15" long. Sorry but I don't even know the proper orientation of the writing.
    Any help appreciated, Andy.

@anyjewelry

Palm Manuscript 1.jpg
    Palm Manuscript 2.jpg
    Palm Manuscript 3.jpg
    Palm Manuscript 4.jpg
    Palm Manuscript 5.jpg Palm Manuscript 6.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These are Buddhist scriptures, mantras and prayers, not sure about age, pages look old but covers not so much? I believe written in Thai script.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Figtree3, judy, Jivvy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I tend more to Laos, but who knows.

Figtree3, judy and Jivvy like this.
  4. hamptonauction

Thank you blooey, I agree about the boards. Thank you Fid, I was thinking possibly Tibet..

judy likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

check Tamil, please. especially that palm leaf they show.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_script

Figtree3, blooey and Jivvy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Andy. The script is a type of Devanagari, the script of much of south and southeast Asia. It has many local versions.
    Those very rounded shapes and curls are closely related to old Brahmic script forms, which are still used for languages in Southeastern India. Tamil is a possibility, but I am leaning towards either Telugu or Oriya/Odiya.
    So your manuscript is likely to be Hindu and from Southeast India. I couldn't tell you what the text is about, but it is likely to be sacred. To be treated with care.:)

It is said the rounded Brahmic letters were devised so as not to cause tears along the linear structure of the palm leaf.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    808 raver, Figtree3, judy and 5 others like this.
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Gobsmacked!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. hamptonauction

Thank you FID, AnyJewelry thank you for sharing your knowledge, interesting about the script being rounded.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

if you have to search scripts often, then there is a book from Carl Faulmann, Vienna 1880. the advantage is that you easily see what is close and what is out of question. doesn't matter that it's in German.
    there is a reprint by Eichborn; if someone needs the ISBN for searching a second hand one, just ask.
    schriften1 (728x1024).jpg
    schriften2 (647x1024).jpg

hamptonauction, Jivvy and blooey like this.
  10. hamptonauction

Interesting, thank you.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

12. hamptonauction

Very interesting site BLOOEY, much appreciated..

blooey likes this.
  13. hamptonauction

FIB Just to let you know that I just purchased a copy of the scrips identification book. A handy addition to my reference library.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and blooey like this.
  14. Sadeera

Sadeera New Member

Hi Andy , This is Sinhalese language. Sri Lankan Palm leaves book. (Puskola potha) Ancient Sri Lankans used to write different types of pusloka poth (Palm leaves books) to transfer knowledge to the next generation. When the British take over the country (from 1505) they took those books to the UK. Hope this book is much older.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @Sadeera , and thank you for replying. I will tag @hamptonauction , just to make sure he sees your reply.

16. hamptonauction

Thank you ANY for the tag, and also a big thank you to Sadeera for sharing your knowledge, I know have more info to research. Your info is added to what FID and Blooey had provided.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. hamptonauction

Sadeera, Puskola potha led me to these interesting vedios.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I was just about to send copies to my Sri Lankan friend Thiru who lives in Japan, but guess I will not have to now ! I was purely guessing , but I am glad to know I was on the mark ! Welcome Sadeera !

hamptonauction and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting, and always welcome when useful information is added to an older discussion thread.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. hamptonauction

I just noticed the answer to this old link thank you for the info, much appreciated. Andre

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted