Featured Paneled Oak Coffer

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Illielee, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

looking at this oak coffer tomorrow. any thoughts on the when and where of this style?[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Any Jewelry, Michael77 and Bronwen like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@verybrad or any other furniture people. . .help with this piece?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Bit out of my league but think circa 1880. The straight sides makes me think this might have been a built-in.

5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees on late 19th century because of the feet, don't think built in as the sides are panel construction which is typical for this form.
    Probably not American, guesses european.

judy, Ghopper1924 and wiscbirddog like this.
  6. James Conrad

The style in america is "pilgrim century" in england/europe "jacobean", popular in the 17th century.
    This chest is a revival piece & is not period. One nice feature is the lid, it appears to have "pintle hinges", (wood hinges that require no iron).

Reproduction 17th century chest with wood pintle hinges

it-opens.jpg

7. Illielee

Thank you. Certainly looks much older in person. I will get better photos once it's unloaded. I was thinking French or Italian maybe. Possibly chestnut.

judy, Any Jewelry and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Phil Harrison

Phil Harrison Active Member

Continental, C19th for me. Perhaps a shop counter? Is there a slightly ecclesiastical look to those pieces at the front bottom corners?

This piece is being offered online as a French shop counter - similar-ish form and combination of high utility with modest aesthetic flourishes.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thinking walnut, and the articulation of the base does not suggest a shop counter, as it would require you to take a couple of steps back from the top surface.

judy, Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  10. Illielee

after a closer look it seems the feet and moulding are revival period replacements.
    The top has one board that looks original. Original hinge loop showing and the later hinges with rose heads. The paneled facade is all pegged on. another fragment of an old piece.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Illielee

12. Phil Harrison

100% NOT C19th. I stand corrected.

The great majority of that piece, on closer inspection, would seem to be late 17th/very early 18th century, tops. If it’s less than 300 years old then I’m a Frenchman (I’m not). I’ll say 1680.

That’s a candle box to the left hand side and those metal hooks next to the hinges are indeed where the original wire hinges would have attached. Wire hinges, you’re talking pre-1700 for the most part. You might expect to see corresponding markings on the first plank of the lid, where those wire hinges would have attached. If you don’t see them then either the lid, or at any rate that closest plank, has been replaced, as you appear to suspect.

I’m not totally convinced that the sections at the foot of the piece aren’t contemporary to it. No obvious signs of grafting or architectural awkwardness that leap out of these images - perhaps some little colour differences. Nice thing.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would like to throw Spanish into the mix. I like it.

James Conrad likes this.
  14. Phil Harrison

Spanish is a great shout.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I can even shout it in Spanish.;)

16. James Conrad

It does kinda look Spanish to me as well, or maybe Portuguese? it's not english, that's for sure. It is not 17th century though i don't think, the construction just isn't right and the plain jane front panels just don't look like early Spanish chests I've seen. Spain had/has wonderful carvers & this chest has virtually no carving decoration.
    Mid 17th Century Spanish Chestnut coffer
    https://www.christies.com/lotfinder...-coffer-second-half-17th-6010982-details.aspx

2016_CSK_12938_0111_000(a_spanish_chestnut_coffer_second_half_17th_century) (1).jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. James Conrad

Yes, cobbled together from older & newer elements, guesses 18th & 19th century parts. The feet are weird, ditto that front apron, not sure what that is about. The lid is 3 boards so it surely has had work done.
    I wouldn't get to fired up about "rose head nails", you can buy hand forged iron nails today just like in the old days.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. James Conrad

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. James Conrad

Another issue i see with OP chest is, it is trying to have it both ways, i.e. it's a "boarded" chest (boards that are nailed/dovetailed together) that is trying to be a "joined" panel construction chest ( M&T stiles & rails that are joined together with draw bore joints).
    Best guess is, manufactured "antique" chest with older & newer parts. :sorry:

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  20. Illielee

I think it was rebuilt late 19th. Front, back and side don't seem to have ever been apart. The ⅜ inch panel facade over the front board seems like an alteration, exposed on side, but pegs and feel is that it is a lot earlier that the other later bits.

another Spanish one I found

[​IMG]

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted