Paris Picture House / Signature Identification

Discussion in 'Art' started by jsnggltt, Oct 25, 2018.

1. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

Good morning all,

I found a watercolor that was sold by Paris Picture House (circa 1940's)
    and I could use some help with the signature (or some direction in finding an answer)

The signature appears to start with a DO or DR (third letter could be an L?)

It is very similar to the work of John D'oyly but it's not his signature (and he worked in oils)

The location seems to be VATA or VDTA but I can find no sea side town or lake that seems to match (Onchi Lake maybe but it seems too small)

Any ideas? View attachment 146327 View attachment 146327 View attachment 146328 View attachment 146327 View attachment 146328

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What happened to your pictures? Clicking on the links all return an error message that the attachment cannot be found.

3. jsnggltt

IMG_E5524.jpg IMG_E5522 3.jpg

Attached Files:

4. jsnggltt

Second Painting.jpg Full Signature.jpg Full Signature Enhanced.jpg I found a second painting by the same artist (probably same boat) on Ancientpoint.com

The lister there refers to the location of the painting as the port of Hydra but that may have been a guess. The tag appears to read YDPA (Upsilon / Delta / Rho / Alpha?)

The signature is much more legible but I still can't put it together. Hoping some more eyes might help narrow it down.

judy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

First name looks like "Don." And think that is meant to be Hydra in Greek which -- according to Wikipedia-- is written like this: Ύδρα. And here's Hydra's harbor which looks right.

Debora

Hydra.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted