Featured Paris WWII era stationery folder

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Zinnie, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

My father gave this to my mother when he came back from serving overseas during WWII. She gave it to me when I was in high school. I remember there was still a couple sheets and an envelope inside but I must have used them. I researched for anything similar but kept getting waylaid by "new" vintage letter folders on etsy. sigh Couldn't find anything on maker or artist - so hoping someone here knows better than gaggle. I did find the ship coat of arms though. I'm also wondering if the outer layer is possibly parchment - it has that look. The inside paper reminds me of wallpaper. ParisLetterFolder-front_0508.jpg ParisLetterFolder-frontCU_0508.jpg ParisLetterFolder-back_0511.jpg ParisLetterFolder-back-stampCU_0513.jpg ParisLetterFolder-signatureCU_0507.jpg coat of arms river merchants.jpg
    I also searched for Aline Baraquin but found nothing. The artist's sig I can't discern. Thanks for looking!

2. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

It's roughly 11" x 7.5" folded. ;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could it be a tanned skin......

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A sweet souvenir. But I'm not sure what else there is to discover. What else did you want to know?

Debora

Fid likes this.
  5. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

How is that different? I'm not finding anything on 'tanned skin' that doesn't refer to parchment.

6. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I guess I'd like to know if these were made specifically for souvenirs or for the general public to buy for gifts or for themselves? I thought there might be more out there that wasn't coming up for me. Many on the forum appear to have other sources than what I've ever been able to bring up.

It's hand-painted and the ribbon was added by hand. The holes appear to be machine punched. Does the stamp on the back mean there were other products also made by Aline and did they sell elsewhere besides Paris? My dad didn't talk about the war at all (not to me anyway) so I'm not sure how he got it or where. I'll ask one of my brothers if he ever heard more about those days, see if there's something that might help. Or perhaps someone does know more here. It's early still, right? :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It was just an idea....because your item is nothing more than a tourist souvenir , I thought it may help.
    I'm sorry to have added my voice here with such a poor lame idea.
    I'll go away now.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any way of knowing much more. One extrapolates that, because it features the Paris coat of arms and states "Painted by hand in France," it was produced and sold as an inexpensive souvenir. Imagine there wouldn't have been a lot of items of this type (e.g. non-essential) available at the time because of the Occupation. And those available would be produced to be marketed to the liberating forces as there was no tourism at the time. Value, of course, is sentimental.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted