Featured Parrish era print with saying...who is the artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I picked this up in a box of old framed prints and I can't find out who the artist is. It's the same style as Parrish, but I don't think it's him.

This image was popular because you see them listed here and there, but no one lists the name. a20791e1354bd47f56f15_l__74017_1421278130_1280_1280.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like there's printing in the lower right. What does it say? There frequently is printer info somewhere along the bottom. I call stuff like this a motto print. There were lots of makers. Buzza was one of the best known. Definitely not Parrish. Maybe his period, but not his style. So far as I know, most of these didn't have titles. But it's good if you can identify the artist or the writer of the quote. I like this and it looks to be in very good condition. Not sure as I agree with the quote.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Online says Taber Prang printed this. According to Wikipedia, the company lasted from 1897 to 1938 (there's a stub on Louis Prang).

One dealer calls this "Riches" (and wants $125 framed).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    lauragarnet and Figtree3 like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

duplicated

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There's a WorthPoint entry that says 1904. I don't know how reliable that is.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The quote is cited in Robert Christy's Proverbs, Maxims and Phrases of All Ages (1887)

Riches are always restless; it is only to poverty the gods give content. Blackwood’s Edinburgh Magazine.

http://www.bartleby.com/89/1441.html

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I found the Taber Prang as producer info, but it still doesn't say who the artist was. The person selling the frames (I buy in bulk for my own paintings) said it was Parrish, but I used to have a lot of Parrish so I knew it wasn't. Stumped. I'll probably have to take mine out of the frame to see what the fine print says. I've had it for at least ten years and just got curious.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I looked for a while yesterday and didn't find anything that said who the artist was. This style looks very familiar to me but it probably is just a common style for this type of print.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

For the number of prints that are out there, I think someone would have named the artist if the info was on the print. I'd have to say not worth taking it out of the frame for that reason.

Taber and Prang sales catalogs do exist, but the only one I found online (Smithsonian) didn't include this print.

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

We're doing a massive overhaul in the house. We figured as long as we were packing up Christmas stuff, we might as well look and see what we have that hasn't been displayed in awhile and swap out some artwork. By "we" I mean my son and I. Hubby could live in a room with a cot, his recliner, a small fridge for his Mountain Dew and the TV and remote.

12. Stephen Robertson

Stephen Robertson New Member

I know this is an old thread, but I've been interested in these prints for a while (my grandmother had this one on her wall when I was a boy). As far as I can tell, there were 16 prints all done in a similar style. I've never found the name of a particular artist (though this auction site mentions that one was signed "Howe" http://www.nealauction.com/archive/0209/lot/lottext/401-500.shtml), but I've managed to collect them all in an album - though the image quality is poor in a few cases. The quote in yours is actually from Edward Bulwer-Lytton's 1873 novel "The Parisians" which was serialized in Blackwood’s magazine in 1872.

Feel free to check out my album of the illustrations here:
    https://tinyurl.com/y6q423a6

Figtree3, moreotherstuff and Jivvy like this.
  13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The catalogue is a nice find!

(for anyone concerned about tinyurl -- this one goes to a photos.google.com account that is exactly as described)

14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Draft saved Draft deleted