Featured Part three, think this is a plant pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by BoudiccaJones, May 8, 2022.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

This is big and heavy!
    Hole is five inches (13 cms), six inches down (15 cms)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't work out if this is vintage,or new
    The stamp thing looks like a caricature of a Mexican cliche
    It's 8 inches across (20 cms)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is NORMOUS...and heavy...cannot read what it says at the back.
    13 inches across (33 cms)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

komokwa, stracci, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Chinese cliche.:playful:
    A Wushamao, a formal hat worn by Chinese officials:

upload_2022-5-8_12-41-29.jpeg
    https://www.newhanfu.com/6123.html

It is a pretty tray, with those flutterbies.
    The mark could be on the Gotheborg site, under modern Chinese marks. Or something similar, maybe someone can find it for you.:):kiss:

stracci, judy, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  3. BoudiccaJones

Thank you my lovely! I saw the Chinese cliche on my plate about an hour ago, well... my son pointed it out to me that 'twasn't Mexican!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess Italian on the first. At any rate, it has Bitossi look to it.

stracci, judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  5. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

The mexican Backstamp dish appears to be a sort of Lustre ware, and I would say try in and around at least early to mid 20th century as these were quite popular then, mainly coming from Japan. While Lustreware or iridescence dates back centuries, the use of a thin metallic film used by Noritake in Japan created a golden lustre which is similar to your dish you posted. 'Although popularized by the Morimuras, lines of tableware with a lustrous glaze were produced by porcelain factories all over Japan.' -Gotheborg

If as AJ has said the hat is resembling a Chinese Wushamao then that is a great clue to get started.

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  6. BoudiccaJones

Thank you, that's great, gives me something to look for xx

komokwa and judy like this.
  7. BoudiccaJones

Again,thank you so much xxx

komokwa and judy like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Tried brightening the mark ion the platter, but it didn't help me.

279421231_10160326643719283_6214431762543458174_n.jpg

9. BoudiccaJones

That's better though! Thank you...looks like it begins with an A?

judy likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe "Asia", or "Aria"?

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  11. BoudiccaJones

Does look like it could be either of those...do you think the second word looks like it begins with Th? Or Fh?

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    judy likes this.
  12. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

Could be a T or an F or a J. I guess this plate is Victorian English. Maybe it might be easier to browse through some backmarks. As the backmark is quite distinctive.

https://archive.org/details/britishporcelain0000godd_j1s1/page/6/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/manualofmarksonp00hoopuoft/page/214/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/handbookofmarkso00burtuoft/page/44/mode/2up

BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Plant pot is certainly Italian and sixties. Not Bitossi, one of the others. Might be the FF one who I can't spell.

Your blue transfer meat platter is mid 19th. That's a pattern name. Asia Bouquet I think.

judy and stracci like this.
  14. BoudiccaJones

Thank you my Mrs,B...Asia Bouquet fits perfectly with what I can see. Now I know what 'tis, can utterly see it!
    edit Now I can see Asian PHEASANTS even better! Now I know that is what it is...I am so suggestible

judy likes this.
  15. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It says 'Asian Pheasants', the pattern was made by many makers with slight differences, yours is very short of birds which is interesting.

komokwa, judy, stracci and 3 others like this.
  16. BoudiccaJones

..this is so interesting.I showed a pic to my friend,and he said Oh look there's flamingoes. I couldn't and still can't see burbs. But am not the most observant.

judy likes this.
  17. BoudiccaJones

I am English,and in England so makes perfect sense,thank you x

judy and Francisco G Kempton like this.
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The one your thought was Mexican is Chinese (as others have noted.)

See here from Gotheborg

You Xian Ju Jianzhi - 有 閒 居 - (監) 製 The Leisure/Retreat House (Supervised and) Produced
    Reading from right to left the mark 有 閒 居 (監) 製) read You Xian Ju Jianzhi. The two characters You xian 有閒 when together means "Living alone" or "In retirement" why the combination is usually translated as "retreat". The two last characters Jian zhi means "Overseen and Produced (Make)". These marks are all applied onto modern porcelain related to United Wilson of Hong Kong. The porcelain most likely dates to the second half of the 20th century.
    [​IMG] 1579. Tray. Crackled glaze. Mark: You Xian Ju Jianzhi. Stamped figure mark. Tentative date last quarter of the 20th century.
    [​IMG] Click here to see large picture

[​IMG] 1293. Porcelain box with lid. Crackled glaze. Mark: You Xian Ju Jianzhi. Stamped figure mark. Tentative date last quarter of the 20th century.

[​IMG] 1525. Porcelain service with enamel decoration. Mark: You Xian Ju Jianzhi. Stamped figure mark. Tentative date last quarter of the 20th century.

[​IMG] 1491. Decorative Armorial tureen with unknown initials. Base mark: You Xian Ju Jianzhi. Stamped figure mark. Tentative date last quarter of the 20th century.

[​IMG] 379. Porcelain figure. Mark: You Xian Ju Jianzhi. Stamped figure mark. Tentative date last quarter of the 20th century.
    [​IMG] 1526. Mark: You Xian Ju Zhi. The Leisure House/Retreat Make. Stamped mark. Tentative date last quarter of the 20th century.

[​IMG] 1527. Mark: You Xian Ju Zhi. The Leisure House/Retreat Make. Stamped mark. Tentative date last quarter of the 20th century. Probably related to United Wilson, Hong Kong.

komokwa, judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  19. BoudiccaJones

Thank you so much for going to all this trub! Great info,as always ... many thanks

komokwa likes this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

No trub! ;)

BoudiccaJones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted