Pastel painting need information of the artist not signed thank you

Discussion in 'Art' started by manny, Oct 24, 2018.

1. manny

manny Active Member

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Your watercolor and its frame don't appear to be contemporary. Have you removed the backing to see if anything written on reverse? Possible that it's a student work as well.

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  3. manny

manny Active Member

Hi Debora this is not a watercolor its pastel and it's old I guess the early 20th century there is nothing writing on the back

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course it isn't a watercolor. Don't know where I got that from. Those hair cuts don't appear to be early 20th century nor does the red sports shirt worn by the man in left hand corner. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say no earlier than the 1950s.

Debora

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree with Debora on likely dating. Done by a student in a "drawing from life" class - who was further back in the room and included the other students in his/her field of view.

Figtree3, BaseballGames and kyratango like this.
  6. manny

manny Active Member

Hi thank you I thought that was a scarf, not the shirt, the back of it indicate older than 1950s, what your opinion on the subject what is happening?

kyratango likes this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

This back was a re-use of an older cardboard added to the pastel when it was framed, I think:) (unless Marty from back to the future did the artwork;))

i need help, Debora and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The back of the work? Or the back of the frame? If back of frame, agree re reuse. Women didn't even begin to "crop" their hair until the 1920s and hairdos were highly stylized until the 1950s and, even then, it wan't until the e/o the 1960s with the advent of hand held blow dryers that a more natural look was widely embraced. (Before that, many women went to their local hair salon for curling and styling.)

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

It seems what is shown above is back of the frame, I can see there are other layer under it:cyclops::)

Draft saved Draft deleted