Featured Patchwork Quilt

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Rufus@frockstarvintage, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Hoping to get some dating help here....I'm guessing sometime during or after the 1950s due to the diamond pattern back (it's solid but didn't take a pic of the whole back - can add if needed). Also, if the close up shots aren't enough I can add more. Seems to be made of plaid flannel shirts, all cotton. Do those squares have a pattern name?

FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

Figtree3, SBSVC and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Now that I realize that the black with "argyle" diamonds is the back, I'm going to vote modern, machine stitched, possibly commercially made. I would be happy to be wrong, but perhaps a look at how the face and backing are joined would be useful to others. Those little black stitches(?) running in straight lines through the face is what I mean, but a look that the edges where the face and backing are joined would help too.

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Another vote for contemporary and mass-produced.
    I, too, would be happy to be proved wrong. :)
    Regardless, a nice quilt for the cabin or cottage!

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Mentioned on the 'Finds' thread that my grandmother made a similar quilt of plaid shirt and pajama fabric for my Mom in the '50s - it was a string quilt, as is this one, made from scraps of random sizes and shapes, explaining the sort of chaotic look (I want to say this is a 'Kaleidoscope' pattern, but would have to check), while old clothing could be used, they were more often made of the leftover fabric from making clothes. I'm from a long line of home seamstresses, and we saved all but the tiniest scraps from sewing projects - we had the plaid quilt and another made from the girls' scraps, including feedsacks, and we used them hard (picnics, moving pads, kiddie forts, dog beds) for at least thirty years, until they both just finally wore out. While my grandmother machine pieced and quilted her utilitarian quilts (usually with an old blanket for batting), this one looks to be machine pieced and hand quilted, with a simple self-bound edge. Doesn't look like anything recent or commercially made to me, personally would guess maybe 1930s to '50s - all but a couple of my quilt and fabric books are packed away, but will check to see if a similar backing fabric might be found (is it flannel too?)...

~Cheryl

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I made one, too, a few years back, for my son - from all of his & his sister's old flannel PJs and shirts. Mine was just a simple patchwork, but it's soooo soft! Here's a bad photo from 2014:
    img0 (33).jpg

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Jonathan Scott would be thrilled!!!

DragonflyWink and SBSVC like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

When Dad died and my sisters and I were helping Mom deal with the pain of emptying his closet and dressers, one of my sisters expressed a strong desire to make a quilt from the fabric of his well-worn flannel shirts. Not sure whether that ever came to fruition though.

DragonflyWink and SBSVC like this.
  8. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Thanks all! The quilt is at the cleaners right now but will add more pics when I get it back. @Bakersgma The backing just sort of overlaps onto the front - you can see that edge in the main pic at top (on windshield) and bottom - it's done the same all the way around though.

I don't sew but have dealt in vintage clothing & textiles for years and have handled (and hoarded) many quilts - this is handmade, absolutely not new materials although it may have been put together recently. I do see why some of you think it's modern, though, especially looking at the top. I don't think it's ancient but has some age.

I agree with @DragonflyWink -- "this one looks to be machine pieced and hand quilted, with a simple self-bound edge. Doesn't look like anything recent or commercially made to me..."

It is constructed to withstand heavy use, which is why I liked it - I'll actually use it on my bed in cooler weather & not worry about the furry butts wrecking it :happy:

@DragonflyWink I am confused by "string quilt" - thought those were the ones with yarn tied tops? Or is that a different thing?

judy likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

What you describe is a 'tied quilt' - as I said, string quilts were/are made from random small scraps. Basically, small fabric scraps are sewn onto a foundation of fabric or paper - starting with a scrap at one end, you'd place another scrap face down along the edge of the first scrap, sew it down, fold it open, then do the same with more scraps until your foundation piece was covered, sort of making a new piece of fabric, then the pattern pieces would be put together just like regular fabric patches.

Here's a short article on string quilts: http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/String_Quilts_Match_the_Economic_Times,_Past_and_Present.html

And another: http://thequilter.blogspot.com/2007/01/string-quilts.html

Tutorial: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/make-a-string-quilt-2821858

From what I can make out of those dizzying plaids, your pattern appears to be 'Kaleidoscope' - here is the pattern for a single block: http://www.quilterbydesign.com/lessons/kaleidoscope/6kaleidoscope_pp.gif

A modern Kaleidoscope string quilt: http://passionatelysewn.blogspot.com/2012/07/kaffe-fassett-fabrics-i-love-them.html

Images of old string quilts: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...1c.1.64.img..1.2.489....0.9NN673R3i_g#imgrc=_

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Bakersgma, judy, SBSVC and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted