Pathfinder of bomber command, can't ID artist.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Number 47, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Number 47

Number 47 Active Member

Hi guys,
    I bought this painting the other day, purely because it jumped out at me. The auctiuon house listed it as by Amber O'neill. The only artist I can find by this name is a California landscape painter who doesn't sign like this. Can anyone shed any light on the artist? I'm guessing Scotland 1950-60s?
    https://www.taylors-auctions.com/auction/lot/1431

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you be kind enough to post a close-up of the signature? And why Scotland in the 1950s-1960s?

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

That's what Taylor's Auction in the UK sold it as

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yes, I saw that. But profides no information as to date. Where did that come from?

Debora

7. Number 47

Number 47 Active Member

Purely a guess on my part. It's postwar but the amount of dirt, dust and damage tells me it isn't too recent but given I still think 1990 was 10 years ago I may be well out. Here is a closeup of the signature.

IMAG0151.jpg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't know where the auction house got its information. What you have appears -- to my eye -- to be neither by Amber O'Neill, vintage or a "a pathfinder of bomber command." It's quite strong visually and, if you like it, that's really all you need to know. Here, by way, are a Pathfinder yoke and a pilot. As you can see, a bit of license with details.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Frank_at_Controls-2.jpg

9. David Madacsi

David Madacsi Active Member

Bakersgma and wiscbirddog like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, clever, clever you!

Debora

David Madacsi likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Pathfinder isn't the airplane yoke, it's the pilot's role in the squadron. They went ahead, dropping flares and that stuff that blocks radar which I have TOTALLY forgotten the name off. Got it: chaff. Anyhow, the pathfinder went ahead of the main body of the bombers, and marked the targets for the Lancs and so on following behind. So, it means a Pathfinder pilot who was in Bomber Command.

gregsglass likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not that it matters but... By "Pathfinder yoke," I was referring to the yoke that a Pathfinder would use not referring to the yoke as a Pathfinder.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted