Featured Pauline Chase 1907 picture postcard

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Vintage Maven, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

This will soon be the latest addition to my collection (I may be jumping the gun on this one, but I am happy about acquiring this).

This is a 1907 picture postcard of American, Edwardian theatre actress Pauline Chase. This was during the time she was playing her extended lead role in the British production of Peter Pan.

The card has been posted, rare to find this one unposted and in good condition. I managed a purchase of this from a collector in Germany.

I will probably post this in the future when I finally have this 112 year old item framed etc. I get pretty excited about things like this.

2019-08-26_02.37.08.jpg 2019-08-26_02.37.57.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Fabulous!

Vintage Maven likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

She's very cute!
    Now what scene from Peter Pan is that?

Jivvy and Vintage Maven like this.
  4. Vintage Maven

Not sure, all I know is she is Peter Pan the mischievous, but innocent little boy who can fly lol

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Funny, she appears to be painting spots on the dog! I don't remember that scene. :)

It's a very nice postcard. The dog is not the traditional Newfoundland that Nana was. I'm going to guess that this scene was either created just for the photo or possibly was added to the version of "Peter Pan" that starred Pauline Chase.

Anyway, I like the postcard!

6. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

As a side question, what's everyone's suggestions for storing vintage and older postcards? I have mine in tins and some in scrap books; some are in hard-ish plastic envelops, some are wrapped in plastic soft plastic sleeves; most are unwrapped. I worry that I'm perhaps not preserving any of them very well.

7. Vintage Maven

If this is any help, I have some of my more valued ones custom preservation framed with cork backing. But a cheaper route is to put each individually in acid free plastic sleeves which are usually available at card collector shops.

Figtree3 and PortableTreasures like this.
  8. PortableTreasures

Thanks so much, @Vintage Maven. This is really helpful. And the plastic sleeves would work for cards with silk/fabric on them (I have a few of these and worry most about how to store these ones from WWI)?

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

FYI, I've stored photo postcards and other photographs in albums that have preservation-quality plastic sleeves with slot sizes appropriate to the size of the postcards or photos. Recently (because of running out of space in the albums) I moved all of the postcards to the type of individual sleeves that Vintage Maven described. And they are in an acid-free cardboard storage box.

I don't have any postcards with silk or other fabrics on them, but I think the acid-free sleeves should work for them, too. The main issue would be making sure to be very careful when inserting them into or removing them from the sleeves.

10. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Sweeeeet! Love it.

11. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Mine are in two acid free archival boxes used by museum curators, separated by acid free tabbed dividers. I used the same system for my stereoviews, except they each also have a made to fit plastic sleeve open on both ends made specifically for sterioviews. You might search, using those kinds of terms?

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. PortableTreasures

@Figtree3 and @KathyAnderson--thanks so much for your accounts of how you store your cards and advice re cards with fabric and sleeves. This is supremely helpful to me and gives me lots of good things to search for and buy. Thanks so much--this is something I've been meaning to address for years now and you've all spurred me on nicely! Many thanks!

And @Vintage Maven, I forgot to say how lovely your latest treasure is. Well found!

Figtree3 and Vintage Maven like this.
  13. Vintage Maven

Thank You very much @PortableTreasures

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Beautiful card.

I love messages on postcards. Things like, "Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year. Uncle Fred Died last week."

It's interesting that yours says, "This is the only one of Peter Pan I could get...". Gives a hint of a larger story.

Do you prefer posted, or unused cards?

Feel free to show some of your others.

15. Vintage Maven

@moreotherstuff That’s an interesting question. I think I like both. For my more rarer ones I like them to be blank preferably. But there is also something intriguing about a posted one, especially as you said, there is always a larger story. Sometimes it’s neat to try to research, and find out more; I have that kind of curiosity.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  16. Vintage Maven

@moreotherstuff This is my most treasured picture postcard of Mary Pickford in 1916, it is a movie advert one from The Crystal Palace Theatre in Montreal, very very rare. For some reason I am drawn to this one the most. I also have a nice original photo collection of her from her personal collection from The Pickford Estate . 41D743F9-501A-4514-8791-16BE11265D94.jpeg

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nice card! I do like the framing. Very professional. How do they keep the cards from sliding around?

18. Vintage Maven

There are special grooves in the matte instead of the usual two-sided tape they would use to hold a photo. This was done by a framer that I have my custom work done by. So the integrity of the card is left intact.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    moreotherstuff likes this.
  19. Vintage Maven

Thank You Kathy!

20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So the mat overlays the edge of the card by a fraction and the groove minimizes contact?

Draft saved Draft deleted