Featured Pearl & 14k earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by StumptownJoe, Jan 27, 2020.

1. StumptownJoe

StumptownJoe Active Member

Looking for period and value for these little screw back pearl earrings that belonged to my grandmother. :) Pearls are 8mm

IMG_9753.jpg IMG_9754.jpg IMG_9755.jpg IMG_9756.jpg IMG_9757.jpg IMG_9758.jpg IMG_9760.jpg IMG_9759.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She had dainty taste, didn't she? Likely from the 1950s.

Debora

3. StumptownJoe

StumptownJoe Active Member

Indeed, Debora! Aren't they adorable? She definitely was! :)

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I remember those. But I don't remember who or when they had them. Adorable.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have similar ones. A pair at a local estate sale was marked $30, probably about estate jewelry retail locally. Personally I'd be wearing them. (no holes in my ears)

yourturntoloveit and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I would guess there’s at least 1.5-2g of gold there. So $45-$60ish just in melt. Maybe more. If you can get the weight of a loose pearl of comparable size and subtract that weight x2 you could figure it out. I have a lot of excess clip and screw back earrings and no woman I know wants anything to do with them. I’m sure there are some that do out there though. I would guesstimate the gold weight and start an eBay listing like $20 or so over that and then go down to the gold weight if they don’t sell. I could be totally wrong as I don’t know the Pearl/gold earring market and they could be worth more. Check sold listings.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I buy clips like made. Screws, not so much, awkward to wear.

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Awww, those are sweet - remind me of the small earrings Mom would lend me for special occasions in the '60s, before she finally let me get my ears pierced for my 12th birthday (she had hers done at the same time, a fun memory).

~Cheryl

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. pearlsnblume

I got my ears pierced when I was about 17 or so. My mother then got her ears pierced about a month later. I got tired of my ears hurting with clip on's and so did she.

Cheryl your story reminded me of mine.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

Heh, interestingly, Mom's and mine were done by a plastic surgeon - in 1969-70, there was no laser technology to remove tattoos, my father had two large, deep, dark tattoos on his forearms, he was ashamed of them and the plastic surgeon actually cut out long narrow sections of his skin and stitched it closed, let it heal and took out another, and so on for over a year. He had fairly hairy arms, so the scars were barely visible, came out so well that the surgeon used him as part of a medical journal article - Dad suggested that it would be nice if he would pierce our ears as a favor. Needless to say, I have no tattoos...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. pearlsnblume

Ouch that must have hurt to have those tattoos removed. I have none.
    My ears were pierced at the local jewelry store in the late 70's.
    My mom had them done at the same place a bit later. I think that day she went I also got a another piercing in one ear. so it had 2 I was too cool... yeah right.:cool:

12. DragonflyWink

Had second piercings done on both ears in my twenties, still enjoy pairing various earrings - but boy, that piercing gun was so much more painful than the doctor using a needle...

~Cheryl

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. pearlsnblume

I didn't think the gun was too bad. It was over so quick and I think I wanted the pierced ears so badly that I didn't mind. Of course, like many, I got a bit of an infection in one lobe but that is the price we pay to glam it up. LOL

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had my ear pierced in the Navy in the 1950s. Had no choice it happened when I crossed the Equator for the first time. It was done with a sewing needle and a potato. I think it hurt but I do not remember for sure.
    greg

pearlsnblume and DragonflyWink like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They may well have given you some liquid courage at the time.(LOL) After all, a Golden Shellback ceremony has to come with some perks.

I wear screwback earrings for preference. Clips HURT. If I got piercings, I'd be stuck with 14k or better. With no holes, I can wear anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted