Featured Pearl and ruby bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Rob Savannah, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Rob Savannah

Rob Savannah New Member

Hi everyone

I am trying to find some more information on a pearl and ruby necklace I got from my grandmother. It is a 5 row pearl bracelet ; 200 pearls in total; with a 18k gold clasp; holding 16 rubies. There are 2 marks but I can only read the 750 mark. The other one has 3 letters but they are very hard to read. Could anyone help me dating this bracelet; maybe helping me out on the makers mark? I also wonder about its value.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards

Robbie

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Obvious question, Robbie, but is the case original to the bracelet? And, if so, please post an in focus, close-up photograph of what is imprinted on the lid's lining.

Debora

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Pretty but that is all I got.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Rob Savannah

Rob Savannah New Member

Debora

I have no idea about the case being original to the bracelet or not. I actually know very little about the bracelet, and unfortunately I can't ask my grandmother since she passed away already...

[​IMG]

Regard

Robbie

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I'm not a jewelry guy, but this certainly has a strong Art Deco vibe to it.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Very pretty. There are others who are more knowledgable about jewelry than I am but... just to get you started... it's a multi-strand pearl cuff bracelet, a design that's typically 1950s.

Debora

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears to fit quite snuggly in its case which leads one to believe that it is original and Richard would be the retailer's name.

Debora

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

750 implies European or possibly Hong Kong for the clasp, at least. I think it's a bit later than the 50s, those multi strands were hot in the 60s and into the very early 70s. They came back in to fashion with Princess Diana, too. Those side clasp safety fittings are of that time, too. Have you got a macro setting on your camera?

9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Could you take pictures of both sets of marks on the latch/keeper? If not micro, take normal in focus pictures them crop them.
    Patd

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i see J-C....but will wait for a close up.

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The design reads 1950s, but the clasp design says later and when in doubt go with the hardware. I can see the 750 on both sides, but not the rest of the mark.

12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Multi strand bayonet clasp hardware has been around since the 40's and probably before that.

i need help likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

True, but this doesn't "smell" 40s; it smells 80s. If we can ID the maker that would help nail it down. It looks like it's strung on wire, which raises more questions.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup - and an earlier one would have had a safety chain, not the side clips. The more I look at this, the more I think it may have started life in Hong Kong. Indian or maybe Burmese rubies. The 80s, as I say, saw a huge revival in multi strand pearls.

kyratango likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is absolutely gorgeous. I agree, 1960s or later.
    The box looks original to the bracelet. The name looks like Rehard?
    The rubies could also be Ceylon (Sri Lanka). If they are Burmese, they will light up like fierce demon eyes under UV.
    I would love to see the marks.

kyratango, i need help and judy like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Robbie. Is this the remains of a tag that was attached by string or what?

upload_2018-12-29_8-12-52.png

upload_2018-12-29_8-20-23.png

upload_2018-12-29_8-21-17.png

Are the marks to the left of the 750 & the lower one in pic of the tongue the same?

The clasp says Italian to me, but the combination of cultured pearls & rubies suggests Southeast Asia to me too.

Robbie, have you done the basic test to confirm the pearls are not artificial? If you sort of nibble at them with your front teeth, you should detect a grainy feel, even though they feel smooth to your fingers.

17. Rob Savannah

Rob Savannah New Member

Hi everyone and thanks for your many replies!
    I tried to take some close up photographs of the marks, I must say, not an easy job since the hallmarks are quite faint. But here they are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking "ERC" in the beginning, but couldn't find anything on that... so I tried "FRC" instead and found this:

[​IMG]upload pictures

https://www.langantiques.com/aju/?page_id=357&pdb=4436

Especially the second mark is quite resembling I think and explains why I read an "E" instead of an "F" earlier, because of the line underneath it.
    I can't find a 100% match with the hallmark on my piece. ("trade mark" is missing on my hallmark.), but I think it's really close. Wonder what all of you think about this.

I was trying to find some extra info on"Friedman Ring Co.", but I can't find much.
    The info page says they made rings and mountings in the 50's, so Debora, you could be quite right on the period.

Brownen, to answer your questions:
    1. The little piece of textile was indeed the remains of an old string, I removed it.
    2. Yes, the hallmarks are the same on both the clasp and the tongue.
    3. Yes, I did the "teeth test" and it feels like small grain sandpaper.

Hope this extra info is helpfull, would love to know all about it!

Regards

Robbie

18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Well, you've ticked all my boxes. Could it be E&C/F&C?

Edit: No, think not.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  19. Rob Savannah

Rob Savannah New Member

Yes, could be, very hard to read... Can you find anything on E&C or F&C that matches the style?

Regards

Robbie

20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Unlikely to have been made by Friedman Ring, unlikely to be of American manufacture at all...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted