Featured Pearl Bracelet with coin ID Makers mark

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Oct 30, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This nearly hit the ‘to the charity shop bag’ but I took a second look because the pearls have knots between them and they look very real. Pearls often tell me fibs so I’m not convinced but they do have the wire around the ends of the stringing to make me think it’s a better than run of the mill?
    Any idea of the maker?. I’ve looked at lots of dangles and costume information sites and haven’t found it yet.
    I know it’s new or nearly and doesn’t deserve a place in ‘Antiquers’ but hoping someone can identify it!
    Thankyou :)
    F1C2A801-1FCD-4634-8926-879C3A0A6881.jpeg 3D16D202-950B-4DF8-9F5D-7BBCC9C6265F.jpeg 7ED76C17-A79F-42F1-B206-218FF1B19467.jpeg F8E856FF-EEE1-40B2-B68F-B1FDCD11E9E1.jpeg CEECCA3D-010F-4239-BAFF-64A68BAB64A2.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They may well be pearls. Have you tested against your teeth? What is the option to charity shop? It's quite salable, IMHO, but not something to go out & insure.

judy, KSW, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is really pretty, K, and as Bronwen said, quite saleable.
    I have never seen real pearls with those bumps on the suface though. I thought the object of the oyster etc is to protect itself from anything rough or bumpy like that.:confused:
    Do the pearls feel gritty on your teeth at all?

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The charity shop bag is things I don’t think are worth trying to sell on eBay, usually modern tat that I’m happy to donate.
    Neither have I but that means nothing as I haven’t sampled many.
    They are gritty. Could be dirt though :yuck:.
    Very pretty under UV.
    If I could pin down the maker it would make it so much easier. I’ve looked at lots of pearl/ coin bracelets but none the same. Some listings say they are real coins but again I have no idea.

EC7D2EDE-DEB6-4A86-B3BE-250E3C29AFCB.jpeg

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

My suspicion having looked closely under a loupe is that they aren't real.
    Then I wonder who would create bumpy faux ones!

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8630B390-B378-4811-AC21-1A2350B28C75.jpeg
    Is there something written here?

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You have amazing observational skills to even pick that up but if it does say something it's totally indecipherable even with a 40x loupe.

8. Bronwen

The coin will not be real but probably taken from a mold that was made from a real one. I can't read it in the pix. Can you get photo that is more straight on or transcribe what you see? We may not be able to get a maker, but maybe you can tout it on what the coin is.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like fairly high end department store costume from here.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Costume, but decent - that mark is annoyingly familiar. It's late 80s/early 90s. The ancient coin thing was big then. It's a Greek one.

Hmmmm.... might be a maker called Cabochon. German, sold through party plans, not cheap.

11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

All I can make out is IMP II REX on the left.
    Attachment-1.jpeg

12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I usually see those springy loop connectors on real pearls. One thing I look for is the holes, prying back a bit of the knotted thread if you don't register anything on the teeth. They made some interesting pearls in the 80s- I don't know the material used, but they didn't peel, and some had a very good iridescent shine to them. I sold a pair of Christian Dior earrings with such pearls. I haven never seen imitation pearls with the imperfections I see in your pearls..... just a thought. But then, your pearls are very uniform in size, which is usually the case with imitation pearls. I wish I was there to rub one on my pearl tooth.

13. Ownedbybear

Majorica use those springy things, and they're costume. They also use silver and gold, but this isn't that.

Any Jewelry, KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think you may get the Champions Cup on this one. You are very smart because you worked out what I should have at least been able to take a guess at. In the bag, admittedly with a myriad of other bits and pieces are two Cabouchon items still with their labels on. Although they are very different ( a yacht brooch and a chain with that life ring type clasp) I should have made a connection. In my defence they haven't got this logo on the back and the logo on the labels is different but I think it's a fair chance it's Cabouchon too.
    I remember seeing them at the local craft fairs, I think it was like some sort of home business thing where people signed up to sell their stuff. I must remember to look for the obvious when trying to ID!.
    Thanks OBB.

15. Bronwen

It is called French wire (could be other names I'm not familiar with), very fine coiled wire. You snip off a bit from a longer piece & thread the bead cord through & then double back with it after you run it through the attachment ring of the clasp. It's one way off finishing ends, not exclusive to pearls.

It's a Roman one, driving me nuts. These dratted Caesars all look alike & they tend to be marked with a bunch of abbreviations of 2 - 4 letters. Unfortunately, all I feel at all confident about on this one is the IMP (Imperator) at the beginning & the AUG (Augustus) at the end, both stock titles on most Roman Imperial coins, so no help. All the stuff in between...? Think after IMP is an A, not II, & REX is not a title they used. Right before AUG looks like IUS to me. Claudius, Tiberius, Antoninus Pius all bombing out. The portrait looks like any number of them. AAUUGGHH!

upload_2019-10-30_22-1-0.png

Can't see anyone bothering to design a fake coin when there are so many genuine ones to copy.

BMRT, Any Jewelry, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Fake Roman coins by the thousands............ http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/fakes/fakeswebsites.htm

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  17. Bronwen

Fake, but not made up from whole cloth. Originating in molds taken from the real thing. Or molds taken from molds taken from... There's just no reason to go to the work of devising a plausible looking sham coin. (Except maybe, if you thought you could do it so well you could fool experts into believing you had the sole example of a hitherto unknown coin & sell it for megabucks.) If I could get a distinctive section of this read, I would expect to be able to find the coin it derives from. Most of them say IMP & AUG.

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Yes it does say something where @i need help circled, but it's going to take a steady hand and a good loupe to see it clearly!!!! The light is too bright on it for me and it's pretty tiny!!

X4ZZZZZZ B206-218FF1B19467-edit (1).jpg

19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This is the Cabouchon logo so now I’m not so sure.
    7F8A7C01-5090-4601-A086-D2C83E0B9C0C.jpeg

20. Ownedbybear

I've a fair bit of Cabouchon, friend of mine sold it. Yours does look like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted