Featured Pearl, not pearl earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Apr 4, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think I know the answer to this one but do real pearls ever come in this shape or are they all round or roundish? They are pretty big too- just cheap costume glass and backs.
    Is the ripple effect just glass made to look like pearl?. I struggle with pearls, I have about 20 strings of them and unless it’s blindingly obvious such as the surface wearing off I'm clueless. I do the gritty teeth test thing but I’m still never sure!
    :)

0287C1EC-4796-46F5-B9B7-8FB74BB70C80.jpeg C7DEDFA6-C072-4495-A8CC-064959A8E971.jpeg BF6503A7-3F47-401A-9F35-E7E0F198EE35.jpeg 4D8F55A1-1C31-4E78-BA21-FACD6DF49A77.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Natural pearls are only very rarely spherical, & command huge sums when they are found. Most of us have probably only ever seen spherical pearls that were cultured. Pearls with irregular shape are called 'baroque'.

Pearls can be the shape of those in your earrings, but the odds of finding 2 so smooth & perfectly matched? You can be sure they're artificial. I had a pair that were something like this, except gold diamonds & real pearls. They were large & basically teardrop shape, but not really both the same size or exact shape, & had irregularities on the surface where there was additional nacre, a bit lumpy & bumpy.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou, that answers my question perfectly so yes but very expensive and would be matched with correspondingly expensive surrounds. I’m amazed they occur naturally in this shape though!

kyratango, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

To test if a pearl is real, run your tooth over it. A real pearl will be gritty. A fake pearl will be smooth.

Don't put these in with other metals, they are starting to show verdigris.
    upload_2019-4-4_9-12-59.png

Draft saved Draft deleted