Featured Pearls... but what kind? ;-)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kyratango, Sep 28, 2020.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    131 pearls, 98cm long!!! 7mm pearl diameter, 60 grams.
    Head line listing said Mallorca pearls... seller described as gritty under her teeth:p:p

Bought for 52€, VERY IMPATIENT to get it, and clean all the perfume which yellowed the pearls:rolleyes:

lovewrens, Bronwen, Branka and 6 others like this.
  2. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

What do you clean your pearls with, Kyra?

Bronwen, KSW and kyratango like this.
  3. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Mallorcas shouldn't feel gritty........cause they're glass.
    They look 'akoya-like' to me!

Bronwen, KSW, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. kyratango

First tepid soapy water, then a spray with a kind of ammonia windex if not success and thoroughly rinse. Never damaged pearls or other said fragile stones with it.

5. kyratango

Yes, to me too :cyclops: the seller (I’m a repeated happy buyer :))said she made a mistake in the title, and She was glad it was me who got the bargain:happy:

6. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Krya, I have older 1950s pearl strand necklaces, would this mixture possibly be able to remove the yellowing of age? Is that what we are looking at here? I remember my grandmother wore her pearls, and it shows. I have always wanted to try them on, but they're just too yellowed to think of wearing.

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Majorica aren't glass in the same way that many fake pearls are. They're a core, yes, but layer after layer of fish scale on top. They can indeed feel gritty.

These look like the more common coated glass, but they'd need to be held and judged. They'll be heavier than Majorica ones if they're coated. The yellow may be the actual colour. That doesn't look like a Majorica clasp.

Bronwen, KSW and komokwa like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's a classic hidden clasp; they're never used on precious jewelry to my knowledge. The metal might be sterling anyway.

10. kyratango

You have to check carefully before doing anything they are not coated! If not, have a go, anyway you're not wearing them in that state;)
    https://www.purepearls.com/pages/real-or-fake-how-to-tell-if-your-pearls-are-genuine

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  11. kyratango

They were used on genuine pearls too!
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-pearl-necklace-28-long-5mm-1725509717
    [​IMG]

https://preadored.com/antique-natural-baroque-pearls-10k-gold-bracelet-rosary-style/

[​IMG]
    While searching images, I found this interesting "mystery clasp" (To me, the mystery is... how to find it when you want to take your necklace off...:bored:)
    https://www.gempacked.com/blog/a-de...tery-clasps-the-most-mysterious-clasp-of-all/

komokwa, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  12. kyratango

Of course, having in hand and under a loupe will tell for sure;)
    But I'm rather confident they are cultured, the yellow is uneven on the whole strand, and I can see in enlargement some surface texture non consistent with Majorica:cyclops::)
    This one is Majorica, hidden clasp, but the texture and shine isn't same, plus, you can see around the hole the little "tunnel" indicating the dipping in coat:cyclops:
    [​IMG] :mad:Too small to enlarge... Go to the listing to see better:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-8m...-Hidden-pearl-Clasp-unused-mint-/383397503750

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    komokwa, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, I have a coral necklace in need of repair that has a 14k hidden clasp.

LongCoralNecklc2.jpg

14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thank you for the encouragements and the links, I will take a close look at them next time I run across them.

15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh that clasp is lovely!

Bronwen, antidiem and kyratango like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That Ebay listing is saying generic Majorca rather than Majorica. Not quite sure how they draw that conclusion. Majorica, I've not seen with hidden clasps. I to have seen older precious with hidden: Edwardian or so.

Bronwen, kyratango and KSW like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yea, I am trying to decide what to do with the broken necklace, it is VERY LONG. I could probably make 3 necklaces out of it. I don't know why they needed a clasp for something that long but I'm glad they did ;)

18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think I need that clasp!

Bronwen, antidiem and kyratango like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Restringing the beads isn't that difficult. Tedious, but not difficult. at least if you have good close-in vision. (us nearsighted folks don't have a problem.)

KSW likes this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe if you wanted to wear an opera length, as a double strand choker ..

upload_2020-9-29_21-35-22.jpeg

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted