Featured Pearls from 70s purchased in Japan

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by GreenEyedGal, Sep 23, 2017.

1. GreenEyedGal

GreenEyedGal Well-Known Member

Good Day Everyone!!
    A set of Pearls purchased in Japan in the 70s - I posted about them in an earlier thread , and of course I can't find original documents that were Givin to me with the pearls - I stopped by a jeweler yesterday and asked if she could tell me ( what kind of pearls ) they are - She informed me she couldn't?? She rubbed them on her tooth and said "They are real" Well I know that much HAHA!! She also informed me it's Hard to Appraise Pearls & they don't do it there - Is this true? Any advise as to how I find out their value & what kind of pearl they are would be greatly appreciated :) 20170923_070616.jpg 20170923_070935.jpg 20170923_070807.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What does this say?
    upload_2017-9-23_8-47-2.png

Not all jewelers are gemologists. And I'm not sure a gemologist would be able to help with pearls, but that is where I would start.

Most likely cultured pearls.
    The only help I can give, is that the waters are so polluted these days that it is very hard to get clean white pearls. So that should increase the value.
    But like everything else, pearls go in and out of favor.

Wait for other opinions.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The dominance of that greenish and pinkish sheen makes me think they could be Akoya pearls. Akoya are cultured saltwater pearls.
    Best to find someone who can test them. Or find the original appraisal of course.;)

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have a very similar necklace with almost the same clasp from my grandmother.
    Unfortunately, no info about it to help you with.
    :)

5. Any Jewelry

I would have thought you'd know all about pearls, pearls.;)
    And about blume of course.:)

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

LOL
    You just made me smile... thanks!
    :)

7. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, and some blume, just for you and your wonderful avatar name:
    [​IMG]

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The fact that they're marked Silver rather than having a gold karat mark tells me they're probably cultured rather than natural.

9. GreenEyedGal

Thank you for all your in put!! My house is on the market for sale , I have boxes in storage , boxes in the basement & I don't feel like unpacking to pack again for original paperwork lol, and apperantly we don't have one certified gemologist in the town I live in so I will be taking them to Seattle with me next week , as curiosity has the best of me :) Apperantly there is one coming in to town on Dec 5th and I do not quite have the patience I use to haha :) I will keep y'all updated! Thanks again!!

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

One of my relatives had a jewelry store in NY. He carried very expensive high end pieces. He had a simple pair of pearl earrings that were priced around $15k or $18k. I can't remember the exact amount but I almost fell off the stool in his store. I also can't remember his exact explanation but it was something about real pearls with this type of sheen (can't remember what he called it), in this type of color ( it had to do with brightness and maybe whiteness) and almost a perfect match, were rare. He went to his vault and brought them out. I do recall they were very pretty but, I still couldn't fathom spending that kind of money on 2 pearls. :wideyed:

I wish he were still around and, I wish I had paid more attention.

11. GreenEyedGal

I know a lot about ( wishing I had paid more attention) I grew up in a family of antiquers, and my grandparents owned an antique store. Now that everyone is gone , I most certainly wish I would have paid more attention ;) I personally am not a big fan of pearls and would never spend a ton of money on a set of pearls either lol!!

Draft saved Draft deleted