Pearls - saltwater?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Jun 6, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Picked up these pearls for £1 today at the car boot sale mainly for the Sterling clasp but when I looked under a loupe I'm almost certain they are real as they have that pinky lustre and slightly irregular surface. I think they have been restrung without knots and very tightly as they are kinked. The clasp may or may not be contemporary.
    Some questions- I'm not tooth testing until washed as they are VERY dirty- can I just use a little dish soap?. I'm going to restring them but I need to keep them in order so I don't have to faff about graduating them.
    Presuming these are real, being very round are they likely saltwater?. No rings or ridges round the middles.
    Lastly, one has a small area where the top layer has been chipped. It doesn't look like glass etc underneath but do pearls have nacre in layers?
    Thanks for looking.
    :)
    IMG_6247.JPG IMG_6248.JPG IMG_6249.JPG IMG_6250.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

yes
    yes

Any Jewelry, kyratango and KSW like this.
  3. Bronwen

Definitely a home stringing job. Really pretty clasp.

KSW likes this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. Are they likely saltwater as so round? I struggle to know how people identify the different types of salt water pearls and the good or outstanding from the indifferent. I think I've got the qualities of freshwater more sorted now but I've got several strands of nice round presumably salt water ones that are still a bit of a mystery:confused::pompous:.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Fist clean them up so you can tooth test. :)

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I am pouting at the thought of a car boot sale. ;)

Bronwen likes this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Will do tomorrow :)
    Haha, to be honest it was pretty rubbish but it was SO good to be out. First time since mid march I have been anywhere other than a food shop or to work. Which county are you in OBB? We aren't too bad for CV in Gloucestershire but Somerset has been very hard hit and I think some counties up north.

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Couldn't wait so gave them a quick wash and definitely gritty!. The real thing :)

9. Bronwen

Cultured pearls then. Need restringing with knots between. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted