Featured Pearlware lion, was this done by slip molding process from long ago?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 24, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

from worthpoint an auction item at Eldred's said to be pearlware. But did they use that sort of process for pearlware? I guess when I was reading about the Bow porcelain figure I saw that Chelsea used a slip process in those days. Does it look like pearlware?

staffordshire-pearlware-figure-medici_1_d7988c967ea24c4fc81516f09da5af15 (1).jpg staffordshire-pearlware-figure-medici_1_d7988c967ea24c4fc81516f09da5af15 (2).jpg staffordshire-pearlware-figure-medici_1_d7988c967ea24c4fc81516f09da5af15.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think necessarily so, but possibly. I've read that it was a cottage industry to hand pack molds leaving some areas of a figurine solid and other areas just a wall of clay, but still heavier than slip cast. If slip cast, I would not expect the piece to require stress release holes. But I'm pretty much talking through my hat.

I believe slip casting started in the 18th C (earlier in China), so the technique was available.

sunday silence, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

4. sunday silence

Hi Mos: Thanks for responding. I know you mentioned slip molding a few months ago when we were guessing the age of Staffordshire dogs. But what do you think of this lion? is it not the same mold as the one above? ANd if so was it made by a pressed mold technique? ITs very confusing to me. Was there like one mold for both of these and then someone later just covered over the slip opening with porcelain?

4.jpg 3.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm only telling you what I've read: I don't know much from experience. The molds definitely are similar, but I can't tell if they are identical.

Again I'm guessing that this was made in at least two parts, with the lion being one and the base a separate piece added to it. Slip casting would be the easiest way to get material into the legs.

Maybe @Ownedbybear knows more?

(I like the second one better, but that's because of the color.)

sunday silence likes this.
  6. sunday silence

the Eldred's listing said it Pearlware. DO you think so?

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't say. Hopefully whoever offered it knew what they were talking about. A white clay body covered in an opaque white glaze with a very light blue tint. It would have the appearance of a cold white, which seems to be the case here, but subtle color variations tend to be lost in online photos.

I don't know any reason the material couldn't be worked with whatever the current techniques might be.

Are you looking for a piece you can reliably refer to as Pearlware?

8. sunday silence

Yes a standard I can use for comparison would be useful to me at this point. I am getting more into the older ceramics now and I dont know what to look for. I posted a thread last week where the people were claiming it was pearlware but they probably didn't know. Perhaps in a few weeks or months it will be obvious to me but at the moment I am still learning.

FOr example, the slight bluish tinge I can kind of see in the first lion. But then how would I know the second lion is pearlware if it doesn't have any white glaze, or not very much? Does that make it not pearlware or just harder to classify? Maybe this is obvious to people with experience but at the moment somewhat confusing to me.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You know you are looking for a white bodied ceramic with a white opaque glaze with a bluish tinge. Are you close to any museums that would have examples?

For something like that painted lion, does it matter if it's pearlware underneath? It doesn't look like the intent was to showcase the glaze. If you want pearlware for its own sake, I would think that's an important consideration.

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Here is a very short explanation. https://asiheritage.ca/portfolio-items/pearlware/ Pearlware was a type of glaze used in the late 18th and early 19th c on pottery -- it did create a whiter base so that the pottery looked like porcelain. Your lion is not pearlware. On some items you can see a bluish tinge on glaze that has pooled in the base rim. Googling pearlware glaze will give you more links if you wish to read further.

11. sunday silence

Hi Kent: so you're saying the SECOND lion is not pearlware? I assume the first one is though. Is that correct?

THanks Kent and Mos. THat really helps. much obliged.

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I don't know. I suspect not, but, hmmm...

13. sunday silence

Hey I had one more question just if you know: What about that handle or bridge thing along the underside? Does that give us any clue as to age? They seem to show up a lot I thought maybe there might be some function to that.

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The base is relatively thin material. The bridge across the center is additional support to stop it from collapsing under the weight of the lion when in the kiln.

15. sunday silence

Draft saved Draft deleted