Featured Peeters J.Antwerpen vulgo Clausenburg, Transilvaniae Civitas Primaria Copper Print Help Verify 1647

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

The print paper is 11" X 7"

this paper seem to have been taken from a book?

Is the issue date 1647?

Could the item 20200912_201736.jpg 20200912_201747.jpg 20200912_201759.jpg 20200912_201808.jpg 20200912_201828.jpg 20200912_201836.jpg 20200912_202046.jpg be a fake?

judy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Probably real. The principal city of Transylvania. 1686. 1687 is close enough, there's probably wiggle room on the date. I'm guessing the title means Coloswar also known as Clausenburg.

Search the title and you will find others.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    judy, Bronwen, Mugzinnys and 2 others like this.
  3. Mugzinnys

Thanks mos

judy, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Mugzinnys

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think that gets the meaning perfectly & that a more literal translation would be 'commonly known as'.

judy, Mugzinnys and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not too sure about that- the first one is Hungarian, the second one German.
    the third would have been Cluj (Romanian). and then there still were the Turks around...

judy, Bronwen and Mugzinnys like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice Mugz. Maybe @Ex Libris can help?:)
    It seems they called the town Kaloşvar.;) Or 'too far from home, time to leave'.:playful:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    judy, Bronwen and Mugzinnys like this.
  9. Mugzinnys

The more you learn the more you need to learn Knowledge is never-ending

thanks for those links Fid, thanks Browen, and AJ I see EX Libris is around. I met a fella at a flea market that had 6 similar items for sale towns and small map sections offered to me. They were a bit pricey, so I only purchased this one because of my lack of knowledge in this field. Thanks Everyone

10. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

As far I can see this is a quite rare hand colored birds eye view of Cluj in Romania (Clausenberg in German).

This print was part of a Dutch book with the title "Korte Beschryvinghe, Ende Aen-Wysinghe der Plaetsen in desfn Boeck, met hunnen teghenwoordigen Standt, pertinentelijck uytghebeldt, in Oostenryck" that roughly translates into: "Short description, and direction to the places in this book, with their current state pictured, in Austria"

Short description of the book and it's author

The book was published in 1686 in Antwerp by Jacob Peeters.

Complete book for sale in Poland (Polish text)

3 copies found in Worldcat (world wide library catalog)

Uncolored version of this print sold. (371 euro)

30537181849_3.jpg

11. Mugzinnys

Wow,
    That was so interesting, the links that you shared were simply amazing. I never thought of using catiwiki as a search engine. the two key items that my eyes were open to was the word Cartography and the book source of the plate. Korte Beschryvingch.
    Thanks so much, to me it was the best answer to a question that I have ever received to a question.
    Rob thank you very much, thanks thanks thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted