Penobscot clubs

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by rickkeller, Jul 29, 2020.

1. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

I helped a friend on a project years ago and he didn't have much money so he paid me with these Penobscot clubs.

Does anyone know if they are worth anything or are they just tourist carvings? IMG_2915.jpg

J Dagger likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't know how much he owed you......but yes, they are worth some money...

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  3. komokwa

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Spam reported.

5. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

Thanks for the help. My wife's family is from Nova Scotia so I was up there when I helped him. I know these clubs are from Maine though, so that is why I wasn't sure if they were a tourist type thing or original. My gut feel was they were authentic.

6. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

?

7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I assume there was a spam post within the thread, it was reported and removed.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Yes, there was. After I report spam, I usually post "Spam reported", so others don't have to report it anymore.:)

bluumz likes this.
  9. komokwa

that may look ...to a new member...like you're reporting the post above...;);)
    if they don't know what was deleted ...:(

bluumz and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

But then there are always nice people like bluumz to explain what happened.:)

bluumz and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

she is that !!! :happy:

bluumz and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

Yes exactly, I thought my post was reported as spam... Now I get it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. komokwa

any new info on your clubs ?

14. rickkeller

rickkeller Member

From what I have found so far the smallest club that is pure root club is probably more traditional/oldest, with the largest club second and middle painted club third. It seems they did make this club historically but modified over time until the 1940's. Here is some info, I spliced together from several websites:

Root clubs are made from the root bundles of immature gray birch trees. The clubs were historically used as weapons, and indicate the authority of the person carrying it during events, ceremonies, and dances. Historic pieces incorporated carved elements of the natural and spiritual world.

Carvers also used their expertise to create a new genre during the late 1800s to early 1900s. The Victorian tourist market allowed carvers to perpetuate traditional skills, while they explored new motifs and expressions based on a modern reality, influenced by global experiences. Carvings sometimes morphed to fit market expectations of what “Indian” art looked like, occasionally showing a Native person in iconic Plains-style regalia.

Value is harder to determine because some sites say the more traditional/older version are more valuable but other sites say the more ornate clubs are more valuable....

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

The older well carved..( chip carving designs) are more pricey, but some of the clubs carved by know artists also command high prices.

As u mention.....older clubs with spirit faces, are different than the clubs with Indian faces.

As with other like items....a mix of asking prices & sold...( auction sites and ebay sold prices..) should give u a ballpark fair market value.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted